Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2012 Tahoe OEM Trany Cooler or aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old January 19th, 2014, 8:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Tahoe OEM Trany Cooler or aftermarket

We have a 2012 Tahoe Lt and I have read about the OEM Tranny Cooler kit for the Tahoe. I can not seem to find the kit anywhere specifically for the 2012. I see them for earlier models. Talked to dealer and to add a OEM Aux Trany cooler will run 300 to 400$. my thinking he is adding all parts individually and not a s "KIT" for the 2012.

I have also read that many say in getting a Tru-cool transmission Cooler over the OEM as the BTU transfer is better with a Aftermarket compared to the OEM.

My question is a multiple question:
Do they still make a OEM Tranny cooler for a 2012? I can find it by name or part in which the part # is for a 2011 or earlier model. If so, I feel it should be less then 300 to 400$ installed.

If a Aux cooler if the way to go which would be the best for a 012 Tahoe LT? Manufacture and part number. And how difficult to install it?

I would like to keep OEM, only because of the visual look of been "factory" BUT if aftermarket is cheaper and performs better I would would go that route if had some good instructions.

I have installed a AUS cooler on a 02 Trailblazer. It did not look real pretty installed but did serve its purpose. But with the 2012 I would like to keep the look clean,nice and close to factory look as possible but at the same time have the best when cooling the transmission fluid.

Any Thoughts, suggestions etc. would be greatly appreciated.
Old January 19th, 2014, 9:11 PM
Administrator

Received 158 Likes on 156 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Have you checked w/ the dealer parts dept? Sometimes aftermarket sites don't update their coverage by model year.
Old January 20th, 2014, 9:18 AM
CF Beginner

Are you sure you don't have tow pkg on your Tahoe? Mine has the transmission cooler on the side of the tranny so you don't need an aux. You should check before I checked mine I was thinking the same way of getting an aux , the service tech showed me were mine was located and confirmed with vin number it. hope this help
Old January 20th, 2014, 11:36 AM
CF Beginner

Quick question: Why do you want to get a transmission cooler? Is there something going on that you believe this would remedy?
Old January 20th, 2014, 2:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most Fluid manufacturers like for you to keep the Fluid at or under 200°. OEM systems route the Fluid to the Cooler first, then back through the Capsule in the Radiator. A good system if you're not running in very hot ambient temperatures (desert/slow summer street/OTR). Xhigh temps coming from the Transmission, can burden the engine cooling system, and generate temps in the Tranny well above the recommended limit.

OEM system works, but it's not very smart. They have a separate (aftermarket) Thermostatic Controlled Valves available, which route the Tranny Fluid completely away from the Radiator after warm up, and usually/may have Electric Fans for slower speeds. Lets the systems deal with their own needs, rather than trying to share them.

Last edited by SWHouston; January 20th, 2014 at 2:27 PM.
Old January 21st, 2014, 5:05 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by pat pennstate
Are you sure you don't have tow pkg on your Tahoe? Mine has the transmission cooler on the side of the tranny so you don't need an aux. You should check before I checked mine I was thinking the same way of getting an aux , the service tech showed me were mine was located and confirmed with vin number it. hope this help
I know it does not have the HD towing and based on the code in the glove box it show no AUX transmission cooler. I will look at the transmission. Looking from the front would it be on right or left side of the transmission?

It does not have the RPO code KC4 Cooling, external engine oil cooler or KNP Cooling, auxiliary transmission oil cooler.

Last edited by T_BOLT; January 21st, 2014 at 5:22 PM. Reason: update
Old January 21st, 2014, 5:18 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by BuyBigSUV
Quick question: Why do you want to get a transmission cooler? Is there something going on that you believe this would remedy?

We have had this Tahoe for a couple of months and love it. Now thinking maybe of camping. Looking at a hybrid travel trailer in the future. Don't think we will get a trailer over 4500#.

Doing more research on what this Tahoe can tow and it appears to be only 5500#. It has the 3.08 gears (wish had the 3.42).

With say a trailer 4500# or less I think the Tahoe would be fine but I fell more comfortable with a Aux transmission cooler.

The Tahoe has a tranny temp on the information center and it runs at approx. 155 deg. This is in the piedmont area of NC and of course winter.

The summer temps here can get on average about 90 deg in summer.
Old January 21st, 2014, 11:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by T_BOLT
With say a trailer 4500# or less I think the Tahoe would be fine but I fell more comfortable with a Aux transmission cooler.
I agree !
Old January 22nd, 2014, 8:10 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whatever you decide for a cooler, highly suggest a complete change with full synthetic trans fluid from BG Products. Look at their warranty that comes with it. Don't know of a better one. Thanks. *BW*