Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

aftermarkt radio installation problems

Search this Thread

Old June 23rd, 2012, 8:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aftermarkt radio installation problems

I just installed an aftermarket radio and 2 10" subs in my 02 tahoe. i am having an issue with my head unit of some sort. my radio plays fine but once i switch it to cd or aux i get no sounds coming out of my doors only my subs in the back was wandering if someone could give me an idea as to what i can do to fix this problem. thanks
Old June 23rd, 2012, 9:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

describe in detail how you wired this thing from HEAD unit to tail.
Old June 24th, 2012, 8:21 PM
CF Beginner

well i did all the colors and ended up with another problem and figured out i hadnt connected the pink wire from my factory amp to my power. it fixed my problem i was having now im having this issue. i have used all the colors on my harness except for the 2 oranges and black wire on my aftermarket harness not sure what else im missing
Old June 25th, 2012, 5:28 AM
CF Veteran

The Orange wires are illumination wires. To match the instrument cluster when you turn the headlights on. The lights on the head unit would dim with the dashboard when you adjusted the headlight switch. The black wire is a ground.
Old June 25th, 2012, 9:29 PM
CF Beginner

ya i know that just wandering what i need to do to get my door speakers to play when i put it in cd or aux mode. only subs play when i do this. radio plays fine through both im stumped
Old June 25th, 2012, 9:34 PM
CF Veteran

do the dash speakers play at all times?

What kind of head unit is this? There has to be a setting in there for channel disbursement. I think your sub is wired wrong through the amp as a dual voice over and not a sub or your head unit is pushing sound as a 5.1. But I m not sure since I dont know what kind of head unit you have. Also what kind of amp is this 4 channel? Do you have the speakers wired directly to the radio and RCAs going to the amp to power the sub? Or do you have all speakers running into the amp via RCAs and then wired out from the amp to the doors and sub(this is preferable, to me)?

Last edited by RacerX; June 25th, 2012 at 9:45 PM.
Old June 25th, 2012, 10:43 PM
CF Beginner

if im just listening to the radio all my speakers play fine. my head unit is a sony nothing special just a regular radio, i have my 2 subs wire straight to the amp and its a 2 way amp with the red and white audio cables running from the head unit to the amp. and my remote going from my amp to the blue and white off the harness. to my knowledge its all wire right. but the moment i switch to cd/aux the all door speaker dash and all stop working just plays out of my subs in the back.
Old June 26th, 2012, 6:57 AM
CF Veteran

I think your head unit is faulty.