Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 24th, 2015, 4:33 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrian
Print Wikipost

HELP - Service Stabilitrak & Service Traction Control

Search this Thread

Old January 11th, 2019, 12:21 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default update on 07 Silverado

I have a short update on the 07 Silverado saga posted 11/14/18 and again on December 12, 2018. On New Years eve my son took the pickup to a friends - it was below zero out and windy. The engine light came on and stabilitrak popped. My wife and daughter took our suburban to him and brought the Silverado home. New Years day I put it in the garage and pulled the code - misfire. I pulled the #1 and #3 plugs - #3 first - it was fine. #1 was fouled and likely the misfire. In the previous repair I had replaced the plugs (11/14/18) so they only had 1500 or so miles on them. I decided to try a coil pak - hoping/praying the pak is weak and allowing for the fouling plug. I replaced the plug and put a MSD pak on (cheapest one I could find in town - $67). I cleared the code and ran the truck - all good. It has been that way so far - probably about 700 miles on it. I am hoping/praying the coil paks are getting weak - it does have 307,000 on it. I may pull the #1 plug and inspect this weekend. If all is OK, I plan to order coil paks for the rest of the cylinders.
Old March 17th, 2019, 5:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SAME ISSUE 2012 equinox

I am having the same exact issue with mine. I took it to several certified mechanics and After 2000.00 worth of repairs NOBODY can tell me what is causing this. I am 100% sure Chevrolet knows what is causing this issue. I am beyond exhausted with this issue and the money it is costing me to try and locate!

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> I am sorry to hear that you are having this issue with your vehicle. If this message turns on while you are driving, pull off the road as soon as possible and stop carefully. Try resetting the system by turning the ignition off and then back on. If this message still stays on or turns back on again while you are driving, your vehicle needs service. Have the StabiliTrakSystem inspected by your dealer as soon as possible. If you continue having this issue I would consult with a Certified Technician. If you have any additional questions or concerns please feel free to contact me privately.

Louis
GM Customer Service

Last edited by jbmoore; March 17th, 2019 at 5:20 PM.
Old March 17th, 2019, 5:25 PM
CF Beginner

Try replacing all the spark plugs at the same time and all of the miss fired call packs at the same exact time because it seems like there’s low voltage or something which is why all the lights in the stability track light continues to come on. I had that problem in my suburban I replace these things all at once and I’ve never had a problem since then .
Old March 18th, 2019, 8:37 AM
CF Beginner

SO, it's been a while since I last posted, I had finally felt like I was rid of the Stabilitrak nightmare, but I was wrong. It came back and a couple weeks later my truck just wouldn't start period. Long story short, I needed to replace my fuel pump, so I did, and the truck worked for literally one hour and shut down on me again. Mechanic comes back out and tells me the module needs to be replaced and it will need to reprogrammed. So I take it to the dealer and they do the reprogramming and it still won't start. So I let them diagnose it and three days later they finally figure it out. From what I understand, and what is written in the paperwork, it was something about my wiring harness or the wires getting wrapped around my axel and being torn up. The whole job only cost me $130 to reprogram the module and $200 to fix the wires and this was about a week and a half and she has been running better than when I bought her so let's see how long this lasts.
Old March 19th, 2019, 7:11 AM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Default 2007 Silverado Stabilitrak

Good morning all - thought I would provide an update on the posts I placed on 11/14/18, 12/12/18, and 1/11/19. Problem began as random misfire triggering bad stabilitrak warning and truck instability. Much like everyone else here, the truck lurched at stoplights, shuddered and shook. I used code reader and found #1 misfire and random misfire. Checked and replaced plugs (they had 60,000 + on them). All was good for a bit, until it triggered again on New Years Eve 12/31/2018. The #1 plug fouled bad again, others were good. Code reader indicated misfire. I replaced the coil pak on that cylinder - a MSD unit was all I could find in town at O'Reilly and it was the least expensive. I also replaced the plug. Truck has been good ever since and not fouled it again. I likely will replace all the coil paks some time this summer as a precaution. The truck now has a little over 309,000 miles on it.
Old March 19th, 2019, 5:15 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Thanks for the update
Old May 29th, 2019, 3:39 AM
CF Beginner

I drive an 08 Tahoe Z71 and had a similar issue. Engine light at first, then Stabilitrack and Traction Control, then ENGINE REDUCING POWER message. The truck drove slow, shifted hard, and even starting shutting off on me while driving. I had 9 codes referencing all of the O2 sensors, the Evap Vent/Solenoid, and Open circuit A. I traced the connections from each O2 sensor and found that one of the wiring harnesses had dropped onto the exhaust and burned through about 8-9 wires. I reconnected them and secured that harness better and every code went away. Driving like new money ever since. Cost me the price of a few waterproof wire connectors. Hope this gives someone direction and hope.

Wires burned by my fingertips
The following users liked this post:
keithwarfield601@aol.com (March 3rd, 2020)
Old May 30th, 2019, 4:38 AM
CF Beginner

My fix was a simple clogged (with oil sludge) valve. Ofcourse this was found by a 2nd mechanic after first mechanic placed 2000 worth of new parts on my car (I should add first mechanic is a very knowledgeable and respected mechanic, he just missed it). That was why my car was burning oil at such a rapid rate. So have them check and clean your valves. It ended up costing me only labor to have it taken care of!

Originally Posted by gilstone
Every time I start my '07 Burban (even sitting at idle) the bell starts chiming and the triangle sign and the warning reads "service stabilitrak" then "traction control (off)" activates within a few seconds. This keeps going on and off as I am driving and when its in the off position the trans shifts gears very hard. Looking trough the "www.chevroletforum.com" site, I can see that this had been a problem in the past with 2003 and up, and there are many people talking about this issue with their trucks, but I have not come across anyone who can give the answer on how to resolve this problem. HELP!!!

Thank you!
The following users liked this post:
keithwarfield601@aol.com (March 3rd, 2020)
Old July 16th, 2019, 9:30 AM
CF Beginner

I'm having the same problem with my 2011 Equinox. Occasionally, the stabilitrak light comes on while driving, the car jerks hard to the left, and in about a minute the light goes back off. When I start the car, I get a message that the AWD is off. My mechanic cannot find the problem and has not been able to duplicate the stabilitrak/jerk problem because it doesn't do it all the time. I'm extremely frustrating. If it jerks like that on ice I'm toast. My mechanic spent an entire day looking at wiring and other issues trying to find the problem. This vehicle is old and has 130,000 miles on it. I really don't want to keep sinking more money into it without the problem be remedied. Last time that mechanic looked at it, he tuned it up - changed all spark plugs, etc. He thinks it's a wire harness issue, but cannot explain why is jerks.

Last edited by Lisa McNiff Komorous; July 16th, 2019 at 9:32 AM.
Old July 16th, 2019, 10:34 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Lisa McNiff Komorous
I'm having the same problem with my 2011 Equinox. Occasionally, the stabilitrak light comes on while driving, the car jerks hard to the left, and in about a minute the light goes back off. When I start the car, I get a message that the AWD is off. My mechanic cannot find the problem and has not been able to duplicate the stabilitrak/jerk problem because it doesn't do it all the time. I'm extremely frustrating. If it jerks like that on ice I'm toast. My mechanic spent an entire day looking at wiring and other issues trying to find the problem. This vehicle is old and has 130,000 miles on it. I really don't want to keep sinking more money into it without the problem be remedied. Last time that mechanic looked at it, he tuned it up - changed all spark plugs, etc. He thinks it's a wire harness issue, but cannot explain why is jerks.
It's jerking because something is causing a wheel to lock up. If it's a front left wheel, it would be the brake or transaxle related. Could be mechanical or electronic. Could be something in the ABS, Bad wheel speed sensor, Brake caliper, brake hose, etc. If it's the rear, it's differential or brake. Same components as the front would apply to the rear. Could be a faulty ABS module even.

Does you mechanic have a scanner that can read the actual modules in the vehicle? Even if it's not actively occurring, something should be stored. You need to have all the modules scanned to determine if any codes are stored that aren't available using standard OBDII code readers. The Autel/Hyper Tough HT200 at walmart should be able to read them all. I've been able to read all the modules in all the Dodge and GM vehicles I've tried it on.

Quick Reply: HELP - Service Stabilitrak & Service Traction Control