Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old August 6th, 2015, 2:11 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

How to install OEM Nav on 2007 Tahoe

Search this Thread

Old January 31st, 2007, 5:52 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How to install OEM Nav on 2007 Tahoe

I tried some main roads and nada. I also checked everything in the settings multiple times with no luck.

I do recall when the GM dude was programming the computer, he said the radio was showing an error because the VSS wasn't connected. At the time it wasn't but it is now. Do I need to have it re-reprogrammed to make the VSS active on the radio???

Is there a way to 'reboot' the truck's computers?? Maybe that would help...

ZX?? Anyone??
Old January 31st, 2007, 6:01 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You are sure you have it plugged in correctly? From the back of the onstar box to the right wire in the junction box?

If you are sure you may try to direct connect the wire to the junction box wire. Either solder or some other type of connector?
Old January 31st, 2007, 6:57 PM
CF Active Member

ORIGINAL: jlenkows

I tried some main roads and nada. I also checked everything in the settings multiple times with no luck.

I do recall when the GM dude was programming the computer, he said the radio was showing an error because the VSS wasn't connected. At the time it wasn't but it is now. Do I need to have it re-reprogrammed to make the VSS active on the radio???

Is there a way to 'reboot' the truck's computers?? Maybe that would help...

ZX?? Anyone??
Your problem is symptomatic of no VSS signal. The only way you will know for sure if the wire is good is to test it for continuity with a volt meter set to the ohms scale - one end on pin 5 of the C4 connector (brown) and one on the other side of the tap you installed at the junction block. Do this with the battery disconnected, when you reconnect the battery the radio will reinitialize and take ~ 20-30 minutes to relearn GPS positions.
Old January 31st, 2007, 7:06 PM
CF Active Member

Ps. make sure you have the tap on the correct wire (see pic)

[IMG]local://upfiles/4713/CF30141B819245DABC94C2D4DDEC6918.jpg[/IMG]
Old January 31st, 2007, 7:12 PM
CF Senior Member

Is that the ONLY wire behind the panel that is green with a white stripe or are there others???

Reason I am asking is this: that isn't the wire that I tapped!!!
Old January 31st, 2007, 7:28 PM
CF Active Member

I can't tell you if there are other green with white tracer wires, but there are definitely other green ones. On mine the tracer was barely visible & I had to rotate the wire to be sure. You will have to snip the tie wrap to do this. Note, the wire is next to a solid green so don't confuse......

Ps. make sure you are looking at the junction block from the correct orientation as shown in the pic.
Old January 31st, 2007, 8:20 PM
CF Senior Member

I'm an IDIOT. (see my other thread about the temp on the mirror)...

Believe it or not... on the other bif connector (the left side of the junction box) there is a green wire with a white stripe. It too is right next to a solid green wire. I guess that after a while, with so many wires you're eventually going to run out of colors and colors with stripe keys.

So... I went outside in 20 degree temps with a flashlight, a pair of needlenose pliars, and a printout of the picture you posted for me. Sure enough, I was on the left side and not the right. Luckily I didn't fry any of the truck's components (that I'm aware of). after about 15 minutes of contorting like a pretzel, I was able to remove the tap from the wrong wire and install it to the right wire. I reconnected the green wire from the radio, put the panel back into the frame, and secured the cover.

I needed to get gas in the truck anyway, so I entered the location into the NAV and suddenly it started talking to me. I'm not used to hearing the word route pronounced "ROOT" from a GPS system (all of the others that I use say 'raute').

Not only am I getting the Turn-by-Turn directions, the speed controlled volume is also working now.

So in the end, after lots of contorting and a total cash outlay of $925, I now have myself a brand new (the radio came out of a truck with 20 miles on it) fully-functional 'factory' Navigation system. That's a savings of ver $1500 if I had bought it at the dealer and had them install it.

I couldn't have done it without all of your help!!

Thanks!
Old January 31st, 2007, 8:23 PM
CF Active Member

Congratulations!
Old February 2nd, 2007, 6:03 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stickied!!
Old February 7th, 2007, 3:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

quick question ......do i need to add the lock pick to that navi before or after the unlock from the tech 2 ?????? or does it matter ???

Quick Reply: How to install OEM Nav on 2007 Tahoe