Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old August 6th, 2015, 2:11 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

How to install OEM Nav on 2007 Tahoe

Search this Thread

Old March 15th, 2011, 6:45 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your 09 LT has onstar, bluetooth, steering wheel controls, you will need a vss wiring kit, nav antenna, and of course disk. Radio will need to be programmed by dealer if theft lock wasn't removed and old vin cleared out. If all that was cleared out of nav unit by who you bought it from, then all you will need is to install with harness and antenna and you will be good to go. If not you will need to find a dealer who knows what they are doing, like stated in all the previous posts.
Old March 19th, 2011, 1:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i have the same problem

I have the same problem i tryed everthing there is a line through the gps sign the traingle moves but the map is not in the right location it cant get signal
??where did u attach your vss wire to maybe i attached mine wrong too

Originally Posted by truner10
i just installed a oem nav system into my '09 tahoe. Every thing is working correctly except for the nav never finds my location and it has a red line through the gps that is on the screen. This nav system came unlocked so i didnt have to get it unlocked and i have connected the vss line. Im pretty sure the vss is connected correctly because everything grays out when i go faster than ~5mph and the triangle on the nav screen moves when i move but it is no where near my location. I have placep the antenna on top of the dash so it is not being blocked by anything. So my question is do i still have to take it to a dealership to turn on the navigation part or am i missing something. Thanks for your help.
Old March 20th, 2011, 9:59 AM
CF Junior Member

VSS INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS:

You will begin by removing the center trim panel around the radio. I suggest you get some plastic trim tools. Start at the top where the wood and grey plastic meet. The panel is about 3/16 thick. Start prying out and down both sides. The panel is held on with 9 steel spring clips. Be careful as the panel is fragile.
Next, start at the bottom, remove the 8-7mm screws that hold the radio, heater controls and 12v power outlets. There is about six inches of spare wire so you can pull them out to unplug them. Unplug the 2 wires and the antenna from the radio and set aside.
Next we will install the gps antenna. First remove the little oval shaped plug on the drivers winshield pillar. It just snaps out. Then remove the 7mm bolt under the cap. Pry the long cover off. There is one spring clip about halfway down the pillar and the bottom is just tucked under the moulding. Unplug the speaker. Next pry up the long trim piece that runs along the windshield. It just pops up and hinges towards the windshield. You can support the trim piece with a towel and if you look to the right of center you will see an area where you can just snap the antenna in place. Fish the antenna wire down to the radio cavity. Reinstall the trim pieces. now comes the fun part.

You will take the wire from the vss kit. It will be the one with the brown connector and green wire. Under the dash on the drivers side near the parking brake, you will see a black plastic cover. Remove this cover and you will see a wire terminal box. At the top of the terminal box you will see a clip on each side. Squeeze them together and pull the box towards you. You will see on the bottom a lug on each side. Lift up and gently turn the wire terminal box clockwise so you can see the back. You will see two blue levers. Looking at it, the one on the right side is where the vss wire is located. It is the green wire with the white tracer. Located in H1 slot. There is another green wire right below it. It is on the right side about halfway up the box. Using a red 3m connector splice the green wire from the vss kit to the green wire with the white tracer. Run this wire back to the radio so that the brown plug is there.

Next the other wire in the kit is the voice wire. If you look right behind the back of the radio cavity, you will see the onstar module. The grey connector plugs in the rear of this module. It goes in the third slot, right next to the other two plugs that are all ready there. I was able to plug this in by laying on the drivers side and going behind the consel. It is a tight fit, but I used a long pair of pliers to get it into the back and then pushed it in with my hand. It will only plug in one way. Feed the black and red wire into the radio cavity as the will go into the black factory plug from the radio. You will look on the side of the black radio connector and you will see a small grey square pin. Pull this straight out. This will allow you to insert the red wire in the number 4 hole and the black wire in the number 5 hole. This was the order on the kit I got. Make sure the proper color wire goes in the proper pin hole. If you are looking at the plug as it goes into the radio, they will go in the top row. 4 and 5 positions from the right. there are two open holes. Just push them all the way in in the right position and replace the grey plastic pin. Now tape up you wires so that they are neat. There are now 3 plugs and the gps and regular antenna to plug in. Reinstall the radio, controls.Make sure you have all your wires up and out of the way nice and neat.
Turn on the radio and install the nav. disc. Good luck!!!
This is a guide is for a 2008 silverado crewcab ltz but will work with most Chevy / GMC 07-2010 vehicles. It is for your info only. This may work on other gm models.

Originally Posted by kaldab20
I have the same problem i tryed everthing there is a line through the gps sign the traingle moves but the map is not in the right location it cant get signal
??where did u attach your vss wire to maybe i attached mine wrong too
The following users liked this post:
CReaMdotcom (December 21st, 2021)
Old March 20th, 2011, 12:31 PM
CF Beginner

To: Kaldab20,

I was having the same issue or at least i thought it was an issue. Sometimes it takes a few minutes for it to catch signal. Try waiting a few minutes. The first time I got so frustrated and it got late on me so I just put the radio back in and figured i would finish the next day. As soon as I put the molding back on the dash I left to my sister's house about 2/10 of a mile and bang the GPS slash went away. hope this helps. I just got mine to work last week. I know there is a lot of help on here but old posts. So let me know if I can help.
Old March 20th, 2011, 4:58 PM
CF Beginner

Default It may be a duplicate question but please help!!

Hey everyone. I just picked up a navigation unit (15882766 came out of a 2007 Silverado) for my wife's 2009 Tahoe LT2 Z71 with On-star and Bose. The installation went perfect and had GM program the truck because the Navi unit was in Theft Lock as expected. The navigation works perfect and so does my bluetooth for my phone, HOWEVER I no longer have voice commands when I use my button on my steering wheel. When I hit the button, the microphone does not hear my voice. I find this weird because you would think the bluetooth uses the same microphone. Am i doing something wrong? Did the dealer forget to program something with Tech-2? IS the navigation part number the wrong one???? I will say I did not install the VSS Voice Harness..... but do I need to since I have a newer truck? Could the harness be the problem?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Old March 20th, 2011, 5:49 PM
CF Active Member

For all of you looking for the infamous fricking VSS wire here's a picture of it in the junction box, let me know if you have any questions.

Old March 20th, 2011, 8:25 PM
CF Beginner

Hi, I have 2007 avlanche. I bought nav, and hooked up antenna. My truck is an LTZ and has onstar and when I plug phone into radio to play music utilizing the aux front I can talk and here phone call through speaker system. I have recently received a vss harness from the person I bought unit from and have found the green and white vss wire which I intend to hook up tomorrow. The questions I have are, do i need to buy or hookup any voice wire if I already can hear and speak through what I guess is bluetooth/onstar. I've seen a grey plugs for sale that have a red and black wire, do I need this for voice commands? Also, will the turn by turn work by hooking up the vss wire?
Old March 20th, 2011, 10:30 PM
CF Junior Member

Yes still install it....One of the functions of the The Vss, is it will allow the nav unit to keep your place in case you lose signal for a short while, as in going through a tunnel or spots where the nav unit won't get a signal. You will still get your turn by turn with the vss kit. Whatever functions you have in your truck now, will be the same functions you have after you wire it.
<!-- / message --><!-- controls -->

Originally Posted by dasigillo
Hi, I have 2007 avlanche. I bought nav, and hooked up antenna. My truck is an LTZ and has onstar and when I plug phone into radio to play music utilizing the aux front I can talk and here phone call through speaker system. I have recently received a vss harness from the person I bought unit from and have found the green and white vss wire which I intend to hook up tomorrow. The questions I have are, do i need to buy or hookup any voice wire if I already can hear and speak through what I guess is bluetooth/onstar. I've seen a grey plugs for sale that have a red and black wire, do I need this for voice commands? Also, will the turn by turn work by hooking up the vss wire?

Last edited by ctccc; March 20th, 2011 at 10:38 PM.
Old March 21st, 2011, 2:18 PM
CF Beginner

Default the traingle on map is moving but it wont get a gps signal

the traingle on map is moving but it wont get a gps signal of the right location and shows a slash trough the gps icon did i hook up to wrong vss wire??? my buddy hooked it up and wired the vss to a wire somewhere under the hood.. not the wire next to the brake like everone is saying here.. does hooking up the wrong wire cause the gps signal not to come on ...???? but the traingle to still move but the wrong direction

Originally Posted by ctccc
VSS INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS:

You will begin by removing the center trim panel around the radio. I suggest you get some plastic trim tools. Start at the top where the wood and grey plastic meet. The panel is about 3/16 thick. Start prying out and down both sides. The panel is held on with 9 steel spring clips. Be careful as the panel is fragile.
Next, start at the bottom, remove the 8-7mm screws that hold the radio, heater controls and 12v power outlets. There is about six inches of spare wire so you can pull them out to unplug them. Unplug the 2 wires and the antenna from the radio and set aside.
Next we will install the gps antenna. First remove the little oval shaped plug on the drivers winshield pillar. It just snaps out. Then remove the 7mm bolt under the cap. Pry the long cover off. There is one spring clip about halfway down the pillar and the bottom is just tucked under the moulding. Unplug the speaker. Next pry up the long trim piece that runs along the windshield. It just pops up and hinges towards the windshield. You can support the trim piece with a towel and if you look to the right of center you will see an area where you can just snap the antenna in place. Fish the antenna wire down to the radio cavity. Reinstall the trim pieces. now comes the fun part.

You will take the wire from the vss kit. It will be the one with the brown connector and green wire. Under the dash on the drivers side near the parking brake, you will see a black plastic cover. Remove this cover and you will see a wire terminal box. At the top of the terminal box you will see a clip on each side. Squeeze them together and pull the box towards you. You will see on the bottom a lug on each side. Lift up and gently turn the wire terminal box clockwise so you can see the back. You will see two blue levers. Looking at it, the one on the right side is where the vss wire is located. It is the green wire with the white tracer. Located in H1 slot. There is another green wire right below it. It is on the right side about halfway up the box. Using a red 3m connector splice the green wire from the vss kit to the green wire with the white tracer. Run this wire back to the radio so that the brown plug is there.

Next the other wire in the kit is the voice wire. If you look right behind the back of the radio cavity, you will see the onstar module. The grey connector plugs in the rear of this module. It goes in the third slot, right next to the other two plugs that are all ready there. I was able to plug this in by laying on the drivers side and going behind the consel. It is a tight fit, but I used a long pair of pliers to get it into the back and then pushed it in with my hand. It will only plug in one way. Feed the black and red wire into the radio cavity as the will go into the black factory plug from the radio. You will look on the side of the black radio connector and you will see a small grey square pin. Pull this straight out. This will allow you to insert the red wire in the number 4 hole and the black wire in the number 5 hole. This was the order on the kit I got. Make sure the proper color wire goes in the proper pin hole. If you are looking at the plug as it goes into the radio, they will go in the top row. 4 and 5 positions from the right. there are two open holes. Just push them all the way in in the right position and replace the grey plastic pin. Now tape up you wires so that they are neat. There are now 3 plugs and the gps and regular antenna to plug in. Reinstall the radio, controls.Make sure you have all your wires up and out of the way nice and neat.
Turn on the radio and install the nav. disc. Good luck!!!
This is a guide is for a 2008 silverado crewcab ltz but will work with most Chevy / GMC 07-2010 vehicles. It is for your info only. This may work on other gm models.
Old March 21st, 2011, 4:53 PM
CF Junior Member

I would hook it up like the directions state to eliminate that being an issue, and see if that does the trick. Also you say triangle is moving in wrong direction, have you tried pressing the compass icon on the screen, to have the the map face the direction you are travelling. If not, the icon may seem is travelling in wrong direction. Pressing the compass icon gives you three different map views. I think that may fix your triangle going in wrong direction issue. As for as gps with slash, are sure the antenna is on correctly

Quick Reply: How to install OEM Nav on 2007 Tahoe