Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old August 6th, 2015, 2:11 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

How to install OEM Nav on 2007 Tahoe

Search this Thread

Old January 25th, 2007, 5:22 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How to install OEM Nav on 2007 Tahoe

That Costaletech link is great! I take it that's a Tech II emulator program of some sort? If so does that mean there's no need for the actual Tech II device?
Old January 25th, 2007, 5:54 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Those screen shots on Coastaltech link are of uctual GM TIS-2 SPS menu that the tech's use at the dealerships to transfer software between Tech-2 and the vehicle.

Although those are shots of the older menu it basically gives you a very good idea and the questions are roughly the same in the current SPS menu.
Old January 25th, 2007, 8:21 PM
CF Senior Member

I just installed my Nav and had it programmed. The tech-dude was a bit apprehensive about doing it and asked me a dozen questions. He wondered how I had all of the answers. I wanted to say "because I'm good" but decided to just say "Chevroletforums.com". He doubted EVERY SINGLE THING that I told him and was rather smug when it all worked.

All that's left to do is put in the Voice Command device from JPCustoms - it's going to arrive on Monday.

Next step - learning it and getting used to the differences from my PDA's GPS system.

I couldn't have done it without all of your information and experiences.

Keep posting!!!!
Old January 25th, 2007, 10:47 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

One of the biggest problems we see at dealerships with Service Tech’s is that we're basically dealing with old time mechanic mentalities, many have a very difficult time grasping modern technology and others refuse to move into the 21st century, hence the apprehension, they are unsure of their own abilities and usually; rightfully so.

I have meant very few tech's at the dealership level that possess a level of technical competence that I would deem to be satisfactory. But some of those same stooges can drop a transmission in under 30 minutes.
Old January 25th, 2007, 11:10 PM
CF Senior Member

From what he told me... he'd never done a customer-installed programming like this and had to speak with the service manager (whom I have a long business relationship with from my Avalanche days) and he told the tech to just program everything as if it were a warranty replacement.

Once he started the work, he told me that the Theftlock would be a problem. As I was telling him that it will be OK, he said that it cleared. Then he was telling me that the lack of a camera with the option enabled would throw countless errors to the screen. Nothing - no errors and all worked fine -- just like you said.

I just figured it out - I'm a moron. The tech that was doing the programming is the same guy that spent countless hours working on my leaking Avalanche. When I finally had the problem escallated, the service manager (he had just been promoted) spent a day working on my truck and found the problem and gave the tech a hard time for not looking beyond the paperwork from GM. I have a hunch that he remembered me. Whoopsie.

And it's funny that you mentioned the transmission. Last week they replaced my torque converter, and the tech/mechanic that did it had the transmission out of the truck in under an hour. Of course the vibration/noise is still there even after the replacement... but it's just operating as designed I guess.

I think the biggest issue is that you can't just be a mechanic to work on today's vehicles - you need to be a computer tech, a plumber, an electrician, a body man, and a magician. BUT... to fix anything outside of the ordinary, you need to have the skills I just listed along with being a good listener. If they listen to what the customer says, they'd fix the problem sooner rather than later. That would result in better customer satisfaction and more repeat customers.

OK - I'm off my soap-box.

Old January 26th, 2007, 10:30 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive seen it on here about how to by-pass the gm system, that is to be able to watch the dvd while out of park. If you know how or were to get the part to do it, will you email it to me. maynard_tim@hotmail.com. Thanks
Old January 26th, 2007, 10:47 AM
CF Active Member

ORIGINAL: maynard_tim

Ive seen it on here about how to by-pass the gm system, that is to be able to watch the dvd while out of park. If you know how or were to get the part to do it, will you email it to me. maynard_tim@hotmail.com. Thanks
There are always "unlock" devices available on Ebay, but most people on this forum referenced the "GM Lockpik" (which I have as well) which is sold by Coastal Tech

http://coastaletech.com/gmlockpick3.htm
Old January 27th, 2007, 10:59 PM
CF Senior Member

ZX1100F1,

When running the Tech II machine on a vehicle with a GMLockPick installed, is the GMLockPick "stealth" allowing the Tech II to "pass through" so to speak, or does it produce error codes?
Old January 30th, 2007, 7:55 PM
CF Senior Member

Sorry if I'm being a pain in the U-Know-What.... BUT....

I just 'installed' the VC module from JPCustoms and after much contorting like a pretzel, I got that VSS wire tapped onto the Green with White Stripe wire on the back of that power block between the e-brake and brake pedal. Once I got the radio and stuff back and connected and screwed in place, I took the system for a ride.

The Voice Command works fine. That's a good thing.

The turn-by-turn doesn't. Nor does the speed-sensitive volume for the radio. To make sure I didn't dork anything up, I deinstalled the radio and checked the connections there, then contorted to that panel again and checked the tap. All looks OK. I called JPCustoms and he told me to check the tap again (which I dida 2nd time) then check to make certain that the green wire is in pin 5 on the brown connector. I did that too. Still no workie.

I plan on re-re-rechecking my work again tomorrow afternoon when it is daylight out (and not snowing heavily like it is now).

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?? Do I need to reset the radio somehow to get it to see the VSS connection??

Old January 30th, 2007, 11:27 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Turn by turn wont work if you are on crappy back roads. I get told details are now not available. Or something like that. Did you try it on well known roads?

Also, did you go into your navigation settins and turn tolls and everything on? Offroad is set to off?

Sorry this is all i can help with.

Quick Reply: How to install OEM Nav on 2007 Tahoe