Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old August 6th, 2015, 2:11 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

How to install OEM Nav on 2007 Tahoe

Search this Thread

Old September 26th, 2007, 2:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How to install OEM Nav on 2007 Tahoe

okay, i'm debating from going to after market navigation or finding a factory unit. Does every Tahoe/Suburban need the JP harness kit for VSS. I thought my stereo had that since it detects when I speed up or down. What I mean is that if I'm listening to music the volume will get louder by itself as my speed goes up. Is this different than VSS. This might help, I do have the LT3 package with the bose system.
Old October 2nd, 2007, 10:09 PM
CF Beginner

Default installed everything evan VSS for JP but no voice commands

Hello Forum,

I have installed the OEM Nav for my 07 Yukon, SLT with BOSEand Rear Entertainment Package.I have the lock pick and the ipod interface. The Nav works, the DVD player works the ipod interface works. I installed the VSS twice, looked at older threads and saw that their might be 2 green and white wires. But I double and triple checked that and it is in the right place. But for some reason my voice prompts for NAV does not work. I have turned on all options, and have turn off the off road option. I have followed every bite of advice in this forum. BUT VSS NO WORKIE!!! This is very frustrating. The only thing I have not done is TECH II my radio. Since this was a fresh install and my vehicle was the first this radio has been in I understand you don't have to have it TECH II.(Hawaii is very expensive $115)After my install I did not get a blue screen it went into all the functions and worked immediately. NAV, DVD, RADIO, everything but the VSS. So I took the VSS out, verifeid the position it had to be in and reinstalled. Nothing... Then I took it out again and traced the wires and tested the power with a voltag meter, and I am getting power from the connector to the VSS wire. But still no VSS. My only other problem is my rear DVD player does not work either, but I know that is a TECH II issue. But the VSS should not be an issue. This thing is plug and play!!! Does anybody have any insight to this issue.

PS if the VSS don't work then the Lock picks will work spotty and keep malfunctioning. This is what JP Customs and VechTECH told me after mine was going in and out. So I have to get the VSS to work...I forgot to add, that when I start a NAV destination I do get the voice prompt tell me to " go to highlighted area and guidance will start" But nothing after that. Then I get a voice at the end of my navigation saying "That you have arrived at destination and navigation guidance for this route has ended. So I am gtting voice, but not turn by turn....I have tried and re-tried everything. I am taking it TECH II tomorrow morning and I guess pay the ridicilious price of 105.00 to get it TECH 2'd. If that fails then I am trashing the whole system....... No just kidding... I will try soething else.

Most frustrated
BIGGRUSS
Old October 2nd, 2007, 10:10 PM
CF Beginner

Your going to need the VSS from JP customs... without it the radio will malfunction...
Old October 3rd, 2007, 9:52 AM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I dont think you need the TECH 2.

Are 100% sure that you have it connected in the right spot, under the junction box under the driver side of the dash. Its easy to miss the right wire. I had a problem at first with the connection under that dash because the wire tap that I was using wasn't making a good connection. Did you test your connection? Test it at the brown connector and at the terminal at the junction box at the end of the wire, not the wire tap itself. You may feel uncomfortable with this but maybe you can try to strip a little insulation of the wire and connect it this way.

I couldn't tell if you were using a device like a lockpick or something simuliar that unlocked DVD playback or text entry for the NAV while in motion. If you are make sure your connections to it are pushed in all the way. I also had a problem with that too. You may want to try disconnecting it and connect the VSS plug directly to the NAV to see if it works right. The lock pick may be defective

hope this helps

Old October 3rd, 2007, 10:43 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Russ,
Make sure that the VSS wire going into the brown plug at the Nav unit is in position #5. I also recommend soldering the connections at the splice and using heat-shrink tubing insulator to protect from a short along with the items that rruelas recommended.
Old October 3rd, 2007, 4:25 PM
CF Beginner

Russ,
I'm debating purchasing the iphone pick- does it display iphone VIDEOS on the NAV screen? Or just the song lists? Is your iphone pick the same one as seen on the JP cusoms site? Thanks
Old October 19th, 2007, 4:45 PM
CF Beginner

this is for the tech's out there... I have an 08 which came with onstar/XM CD player, I'm doing a Navi upgrade and plugged in the head unit and got the standard 'theft lock' message. From all the info I came across with people doing this swapout they never mentioned any issues with having a dealer unlock the unit.

I however (just my luck) ran in to problems. When we hooked up the Tech2 to the truck, with the passthru to the computer, it wouldn't let us download the info to the truck, it would come up with an error after we hit next after selecting the Navigation Radio option. Can anybody give some feedback as to why this would error out, or what is needed to be done to get this thing to unlock?
Old October 24th, 2007, 9:09 AM
CF Beginner

New to the forum, I just purchased a 2007 Avalanche lt3 z71.It has the bose system, xm, changer, steering wheel controls.......I would like to add the nav dvd unit to it with the option of adding the rear headrests later. I spoke with the dealer and they gave me a gm part number....19153970.....that they said would be a one for one swap and all of the wiring would match up. This unit does not allow for rear dvd, there is another part number however......19153969.........that shows to be compatible with the rear dvd. I called them back and asked them if could use this unit instead and they said no? The part numbers that I have read in blogs are like 19153970. I was hoping that someone could sort all of this out for me. I do not see the first two part numbers listed anywhere like ebay, just gm parts stores? I would like to use the 19153970 if it is wired correctly with the option of adding the gmheadrests later.

thanks,
Old October 24th, 2007, 9:11 AM
CF Beginner

sorry, the part number that i saw in the blogs was 15940103
Old October 25th, 2007, 3:33 AM
CF Beginner

Man this thread is getting long....

I just added a factory NAV / DVD Version to my LT1 with OUT Bose. I won't bore anyone with the part numbers, they have been stated time after time in this thread. And just for the record, I put in a model from a 2008.

The only thing you have to know that if you want to add the NAV / DVD version is that you will have to put in an aftermarket AMP. The unit I bought came with the JP Customs VSS and backup camera plug, AKA the Navigation Install kit w/backup camera.

I have to admit that it works and sounds really good. I opted to change out all of the factory speakers as well to some focal 165 components as well with a single 4 channel amp. The amp was installed under the passenger rear seat, and they ran the 4GA wire to the batter and put in a dual fuse block so I can add a sub amp later, which will probably be sooner because the focal's are good with mids and highs, but not much bass.

Now.. The ONLY issue that I have with this is the blinkers. The blinker signal "sound" is sent to the radio to click out of the driver's side speaker. Obviously with the speaker now amplified, the "click" is quite annoying. I have tried doing some searches, but I am curious if anyone knows how to either lower this sound or remove it completely.

I am curious, but I have not tried yet, it is my understanding that on lux models, ie. denali/escalade, the turn signal( and chimes ) is sent all the way through and handled by the amp, and not the head unit. Since in my setup, I essentially bypass all that, if I programmed my headunit to think it was a lux (y91) head unit, would that issue go away. It is just a thought. The same unequalized signal should be sent to the aftermarket amp so there shouldn't be any problems there, and there would just be nothing to pick up the LAN signal. Any thoughts on this?? Maybe there is something even easier to turn off the turn signals in the tech 2 programming??

Quick Reply: How to install OEM Nav on 2007 Tahoe