Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old August 6th, 2015, 2:11 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

How to install OEM Nav on 2007 Tahoe

Search this Thread

Old October 29th, 2007, 10:59 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How to install OEM Nav on 2007 Tahoe

I'm wondering how I'm going to do this on my 2007 Silverado... I'm pretty sure it's the same way, just weirded out by the dash being a whole kit rather than like the Tahoe... Anyone try this on a Silverado yet?
Old November 3rd, 2007, 6:40 AM
CF Active Member

If I were to just swap out the existing MP3/Xm radio/DVD radio with a NAV radio that has the RES (XXXX66 or xxxxx102) and not add the back up camera will the existing XM radio subscription just have to be moved over to the new radio or is that a remote part of the GM's circuitry? If it is authorized in the radio has anyone had any experience with XM to know if they'll move it? The GM site doesn't seem to function any longer. At least the GMXM site listed in the brochures that came with the truck.

Also does the radio ending in 102 have any features improvements over the original xxxxxx66 numbered unit?

Thanks... Gary
Old November 3rd, 2007, 7:59 AM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The XM Tuner is a seperate box thats mounted somewhere else in the truck. You wouldn't need to call XM to switch you radio to a NAV version. Everything should plug in just fine. The Speed Sensor wire will need to be connected if you want the Navigation to function at its best. It was the 4th plug on mine. You may or may not have the plug. If you dont, you can buy the kit.

If you already have factory XM, you will probably need the theftlock removed from the XM module itself, at least thats what it seems according to the XM section in the owners manual. If you install a used NAV, then you have to remove the THEFTLOCK from NAV unit at the Dealer anyway and when they do that, they will unlock the seperate XM tuner too.

I believe that XXXXXX02 has fewer issues as far as the time not showing up on the display but other than that, i think it functions the same
Old November 4th, 2007, 8:43 PM
CF Beginner

I just purchased part number 25797978 to put in my 2007 avalanche with bose. I was wondering if anyone know whether or not I will need to purchase the vss kit from jp customs and if so why.

Mike
Old November 5th, 2007, 7:49 AM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you dont install the VSS ( Vehicle Speed Sensor)kit, turn by turn voice guidance directions dont work well if at all.

If your GPS signal is blocked, either by trees, tall buildings, or tunnels, the Navigation unit can't track you without the Speed sensor wire connected.

If your planning to install the Coastal Tech Lockpick so your front passenger can watch DVD's or input Addresses while you are moving, it needs the speed sensor wire installed in order to work correctly.

The kit is not that expensive and if you dont install it, your navigation system will be crippled. Just my 2 cents
Old November 13th, 2007, 10:01 PM
CF Beginner

Quick question, if i buy a nav unit that plays dvd's will it play on the front screen? ( I have a non-rse truck)
Old November 23rd, 2007, 8:49 AM
CF Beginner

I an also just about to try putting an oem nav unit in my 07 denali. What is the easiest method of removing the face plate trim around the current stero and the trim on the dash up against the windshield? Also is the oem antenna necessary or will the jp customs one work? My understanding is the antenna mounts under the dash trim up towards the windshield.
Old November 27th, 2007, 7:53 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks to this thread I recently installed the oem nav unit that plays dvd's into my 07 Z71 Tahoe without rear entertainment system. The dvd works fine and I plan on getting the lockpick eventually so "the front passenger" can watch dvd's. I hooked up the VSS from jpcustoms and everything works fine. I get turn by turn voice prompts and everything. The one problem that i have is that I can't add voice tags to any destinations. Just wandering if this is because I dont have the wiring kit that jpcustoms used to sell for voice commands. Thanks for all the help.
Old November 28th, 2007, 7:55 AM
e
CF Senior Member

ORIGINAL: cmontegut

Just wandering if this is because I dont have the wiring kit that jpcustoms used to sell for voice commands.
Yes this would be need to enter in voice commands.
Old December 10th, 2007, 10:23 PM
CF Beginner

HelloZX. I happen to have one of those Tahoe (2003 LT (BTW what's 2LT or 1LT))that didn't come with a Nav system option. I would like to put one in. What kind of troubles should I expect? I also called a couple of my local dealers and one said that my truck must be factory wired otherwise look into aftermarket portables, the other said no option for that year.

Quick Reply: How to install OEM Nav on 2007 Tahoe