Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old August 6th, 2015, 2:11 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

How to install OEM Nav on 2007 Tahoe

Search this Thread

Old December 12th, 2007, 2:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How to install OEM Nav on 2007 Tahoe

What a great forum/thread. I have read the entire thread a couple of times, andI noticed that there are some updates to the the JP Customs harness Kit as well as the Lockpick from coastaltech GMX320. I thought i would share the info and have ask some questions.

So This is a Yukon 07 with Bose & 6 CD changer. I have replaced my Radio with OEM Nav. I bought the kit form ebay for 1200 (NAV part #15940102, Antenna #15201798, MAP DVD #15807780v1.10). My final objective is to get a front and rear camera installed and a bluetooth kit.

I have the following questions/issues:
1) the easy one first, does this unit support or have XM Radio? if so, how to enable it or use it?

2)I went to the dealer to get the unitprogrammed, after being askedme a million questions and trying to tell me it wont work, the tech started working on it and then came to tell me that its giving him 2 codes (sounded like error codes), one for VSS not present and the other for the GPS module not present - is this normal?. I told him that is fine as i'm getting the VSS installed, he insisted that there is an additional GPS module. WhenI tested the unit after leaving the dealer, the GPS was not working, no signal on a clear day. I drove from Boston to NYC and on the way the GPS was started getting a signal and started working, and then it would not work - no signal. I was able to input a destination while driving, but was not able to get the voice prompted directions. Is all this related to the VSS wire? or is the UnitI bought faulty and GPS receiver not functioning propoerly? other functionality seems to work fine. (I also asked the dealer to enable the camera which he did athough i have installed it as or yet).

On the VSS and backup cameraI have 2 options/questions:
a)Orderthe JPCustom harness so thatI can test the GPS and ensure everything works well. Apparently this newer harness comes with an RCA input for the rear view camera install (makes it much easier - still need power for cam though). Also, the person mentioned that you can buy the RCA cable seprately and install it on older harnesses. They currently don't have it in stock but should be available shortly

OR

b)Use the lockpick GMX320,I was told by coastaletech thatI don't need to install a VSS because the new lockpick GMX320 has that sensor already. There instalation manual states:
"ALSO, SO, IF YOU HAVE ADDED A NAVIGATION RADIO TO A NON-NAV VEHICLE
YOU MAY
OMMIT THE COMPLICATED INSTALLATION OF VEHICLE SPEED SIGNALS NORMALLY
NECESSARY FOR THE PROPER INSTALLATION PROCESS. THE GMX-320 WILL PROPERLY
PROVIDE THE NECESSARY INFORMATION FOR YOUR UPGRADED RADIO."
Has anyone tried the GMX320 without the VSS harness, and does it work properly as stated?
Although, option B is much more expensive, itprovides the flexibility for 2 cameras and an easy installation of bluetooth kit.
5) How doI enable voice activated commands? Would the GMX320 have that or do i need another harness?
6) I'm looking to buy and install a bluetooth - any experiences? (this would be a early next year project)
Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Old December 21st, 2007, 1:39 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks to all you helped with this post. I got my Nav in my Yukon just fine. I ordered some of the plugs from JP Customs but have to tell all, I have been mis-led and lied to. I ordered the Nav kit with back-up camera plug, just in case I wanted to install that too, since it was an extra $5.00 with the order. The man told me the Onstar plug was on back order, but would be sent out as soon as they got them in to fill all existing orders, some time in November but most likely in early December. That was told to me twice, but it never showed up. I called and email them just today, now, its another $35.00, because they canI guess. Ifanyone knows where I can get the plug, I would love to know. I trusted these folks and paid for the plugsoI could get my unit up and running thinking they would honnor their word, but got screwed in the end. Its not right, but I guess that's how they want to do business!
Any way, thanks to all who help me, and be cafefull if you buy from JP Customs!
Lyle Pfeifer
Old December 21st, 2007, 12:03 PM
CF Beginner

Hello
I have installed the OEM Nav (15887766) for my 07 Tahoe,LS NO-BOSE system. I alsoinstalled the harness (oem-1 GM1416).I add an aftermarket amp and wire everything from the speaker to the amp but here come my problem I DONT HAVE CONTROL OF THE VOLUME!!! any advise???? i have read all the post and saw similar problems i ran out of ideas HELP!!
Old December 21st, 2007, 1:15 PM
CF Beginner

When you say the volume, do you mean the radio or the amp? Did you use a used unit from another car? If so, you will most likely need to take it to the dealer and have them hook up and program it for you.
Lyle
Old December 21st, 2007, 2:43 PM
CF Beginner

I can listen to the music but is loud i can lower it on the amp. And yes is a used 1.i gotit on ebay. Another thing that i notice is that i can't hear the guidelines from the navigation but i can hear the onstar.

I went to the dealer to unlock the radio but they dont know what i need to get fix
Old January 4th, 2008, 11:23 PM
CF Beginner

[] ok i just bought a new 2008 1500 WT reg cab silverado with onstar and xm im wanting to put in an oem nav unit and need to know which one will work if any thank you
Old January 5th, 2008, 8:28 PM
CF Beginner

Hello to all,
I just finished installing the nav unit, antenna and vss wire in my new silverado. I have the theftlock activated screen. My question is does everyone who has had it programmed at the dealer agree with the instuctions in post #1 and pasted belowexactly. just checking before i go to the delaer on Monday.

The unit will show a blue screen and the words THEFTLOCK, don't be alarmed this is good.
Now you'll have to take it to the dealer or have access to a Tech-2 device and TIS programs to accomplish the programming/learning procedure.
With Tech-2 connected to the vehicle go to the Service Programming mode and select "get vehicle information” and follow the prompts to download the module info into Tech-2.
Now disconnect Tech-2 and connect it to the Techline TIS computer and enter SPS menu select "radio” and then it will ask you a few questions regarding the radio, amp rear camera, etc, the only tricky one is make sure to select "w/o Y91 option the 2 times it asks and also select "region 1 NTSC” when you get to that screen; when done in the menu download the programming and then connect Tech-2 back up and install the software when done turn ignition off , unplug Tech-2 and wait at least 30 seconds to turn the key back on and your done.
Old January 6th, 2008, 12:06 AM
CF Beginner

I finally broke down and installed my Nav unit in my 07 Avalanche, I can tell you it was alot more work than I anticipated. Got my VSS kit from JP Customs, had it in one day, (They are in Houston so it was pretty quick for me). I do want to let folks know about the problem I had with trying to hook up the voice option. it took me an hour to go back and finnally take it out. I did exactly as the past post have talked about pin 4 to pin 5 and vice versa from the onstar tothe unit. Some how some way the truck went dead when I did this procedure, I mean dead no lights, would not start. ZX1100F1 first of all thanks for all the information, I'm sure there are alot of folks out there that have used this info, do you have any idea how this may of happened or if I have do something wrong.
Second question ishow can I tell if my unit has a Nav disk init, I purchased it from a guy here in town and he couldn't remember if the disk was in it or not, I'm scheduled to have it Tech 2 on Tuesday.Thanks again to all that posted on this thread.

--Mike-- 07 Texas Avalanche and lovin it.
Old January 9th, 2008, 9:06 PM
CF Beginner

Geered, I sent you an email discussing the Tech-2.

texas07av
Old January 13th, 2008, 12:04 PM
CF Beginner

Does anyone know if there is a way to bypass factory nav/dvd system to where you can watch dvd while driving, I dont want to watch it myself but I want to put 10.2's in the head rest and I would like to run it off of the factory head unit (if this is possible) so my kids can watch did not want to have to buy an aftermarket head unit like Z1 or Z2 I did not want to lose my sterring wheel options and plus be out that much more money.

Quick Reply: How to install OEM Nav on 2007 Tahoe