Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old August 6th, 2015, 2:11 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

How to install OEM Nav on 2007 Tahoe

Search this Thread

Old August 18th, 2009, 7:45 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Suburban OEM Nav install

After installing the OEM Nav into my 2009 Suburban I still have the following issues...

1. Onstart Destination Download does not download the route to my map. It downloads correctly but all I get is voice prompts through onstar. It doesnt seem to interface to the map display at all.
Picture of what this looks like on working Nav http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/1...wnload.500.jpg

2. Voice Recognition does not work for Radio and Navigation functions

3. XM NavTraffic does not show flow control or any icons on my MAP display. I called XM and they made sure I had XMNavTraffic as part of my subsription they did a radio refresh but nothing happened.

Shanwn is working with me and has been a tremendous help so far trying to find possible solutions. Thanks Shawn! At this point I dont know what the deal is. Could it be that the truck needs to be reprogrammed for this radio? From everything I read, it does not need to be reprogrammed. The problem seems to revolve around communication with onstar or the GMLan? The radio works perfectly with my RSE and XM radio functions. The Navigation works fine although I do see the GPS often show a line through it intermittently but I read that thats normal for Manhattan New York.

The truck originally shipped with only the BOSE with RSE DVD radio No Navigation other than turn by turn from onstar which worked fine. It even downloaded directly to the radio to show graphic left and right arrows for turning.

Anyway, would love to hear if anyone else has had a similar experience or any possible solutions.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by mirage00; August 18th, 2009 at 8:34 AM.
Old August 18th, 2009, 10:34 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by mirage00
After installing the OEM Nav into my 2009 Suburban I still have the following issues...

1. Onstart Destination Download does not download the route to my map. It downloads correctly but all I get is voice prompts through onstar. It doesnt seem to interface to the map display at all.
Picture of what this looks like on working Nav http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/1...wnload.500.jpg

2. Voice Recognition does not work for Radio and Navigation functions

3. XM NavTraffic does not show flow control or any icons on my MAP display. I called XM and they made sure I had XMNavTraffic as part of my subsription they did a radio refresh but nothing happened.

Shanwn is working with me and has been a tremendous help so far trying to find possible solutions. Thanks Shawn! At this point I dont know what the deal is. Could it be that the truck needs to be reprogrammed for this radio? From everything I read, it does not need to be reprogrammed. The problem seems to revolve around communication with onstar or the GMLan? The radio works perfectly with my RSE and XM radio functions. The Navigation works fine although I do see the GPS often show a line through it intermittently but I read that thats normal for Manhattan New York.

The truck originally shipped with only the BOSE with RSE DVD radio No Navigation other than turn by turn from onstar which worked fine. It even downloaded directly to the radio to show graphic left and right arrows for turning.

Anyway, would love to hear if anyone else has had a similar experience or any possible solutions.

Thanks in advance!

Ok here is the latest update if anyone cares... The voice recognition worked all along... apparently you are required to press the source button for navigation voice recognition NOT the mute button...

This leaves the navtraffic and onstar destination download... Still would like to know if this is because the Navigation unit is not compatible... I installed part# 20807044 or a missing connection on the 2009 models.
Old August 19th, 2009, 12:29 PM
CF Active Member

One more final note... I did some research and apparently the part# for the navigation unit that GMACCESSORIESZONE says is for my vehicle is Part# 19169885

Now I am wondering if the different part# has something to do with XM NavTraffic compatibility and Destination Download from onstar compatibility.

Anyone here able to confirm this number is correct?

2009 Suburban LT2 with BOSE and RSE.
Old August 21st, 2009, 3:02 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by ZX1100F1
For anybody that owns a new 2007 Tahoe/Suburban or Avalanche with Bose (most front bucket seat equipped Tahoe's have the Bose speaker/amp system) and wishes to install the factory OEM Denso Navigation system here is a complete set of instructions and list of parts to accomplish the job:

First off you'll need the head unit Part #15882767 if your vehicle does NOT have factory DVD or 15882766 (new updated version of this unit is Part #15940102) if you DO have factory DVD, Ebay can be a good place to find one of these head units.

You'll also need the GPS antenna part #15201798 these sell for about $50 at the dealership.
Rear back-up camera part #15173619.
And finally you'll need the GM 2007 Map DVD part #15934919 for the most current release (v2.0) or 15807780 for the earlier version (v1.10) the changes are very minimal and mostly in the eastern regions.

The install is straight forward:
Remove the wood trim panel surrounding the radio and HVAC controls, there are 9 clips holding it to the dash and they are stubborn, be careful not to ding the edge of the stereo when prying this off.
Next, remove the fasteners holding the head unit (10mm heads).

Now remove the A-pillar covers by prying the access plug out on driver side and remove the fastener(s), remove the grab handle on the passenger's side and unplug the tweeter leads.
Pry the front top dash trim panel up (5 clips total) and unplug the photocell light sensor, you'll see just to the right of the center there is a square area with a clip built in that holds the GPS antenna, snap it into place and fish the wire down towards the head unit, you may have to remove the glove box which is easy and you can figure it out in a glance.
Now reinstall the head unit and the trim pieces.

The unit will show a blue screen and the words THEFTLOCK, don't be alarmed this is good.
Now you'll have to take it to the dealer or have access to a Tech-2 device and TIS programs to accomplish the programming/learning procedure.
With Tech-2 connected to the vehicle go to the Service Programming mode and select "get vehicle information” and follow the prompts to download the module info into Tech-2.
Now disconnect Tech-2 and connect it to the Techline TIS computer and enter SPS menu select "radio” and then it will ask you a few questions regarding the radio, amp rear camera, etc, the only tricky one is make sure to select "w/o Y91 option the 2 times it asks and also select "region 1 NTSC” when you get to that screen; when done in the menu download the programming and then connect Tech-2 back up and install the software when done turn ignition off , unplug Tech-2 and wait at least 30 seconds to turn the key back on and your done.
My 2009 burb came with the Luxuary package (Y91) does that mean I NEED to select it or do I ignore that code and select the items W/O Y91 as your instructions indicate?
Old August 21st, 2009, 7:03 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

ignore those instructions...they're old.....select EXACTLY what is written on the SPID label except for the radio as you have changed it

and you must do pass-thru programming with the tech2. The 08+ models no longer support remote programming
Old August 21st, 2009, 9:51 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by shawnvw
ignore those instructions...they're old.....select EXACTLY what is written on the SPID label except for the radio as you have changed it

and you must do pass-thru programming with the tech2. The 08+ models no longer support remote programming
Ok... Got it.

Uggg THanks for the headsup regarding passthrough programming. I was going to use the tech2.

So when I connect the tech2 to read my existing config, I wont need to change anything other than the radio info? I noticed that the BCM / Powertrain has a selection for Navigation Radio. I guess I need to change that as well? Wasnt sure what that was there for, it seemed odd.. I saw it when I was playing with this website after I entered my VIN

http://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web
Old September 21st, 2009, 9:25 PM
CF Beginner

Default Insert NAV CD

I am having a problem with my OEM NAV system that I installed into my Tahoe. I followed the instruction on this thread but took it to a dealer to unlock/program, I think it was done correctly. The problem I am having is that I can not select the "Insert Navigation Disk" it is grayed out, nor do I get any information from the GPS unit. I verified all the connection multiple times. The radio performs all other functions including gas low indicators.

Any suggestions? Is it not programmed correctly? It was like pulling teeth to get the Tech to even look at it. I live in South Jersey and it is difficult to find anyone with the Tech 2 tool or a dealer that even understand what needs to be done.

Thanks,
Old October 14th, 2009, 9:36 PM
CF Beginner

ok i just read through 50 pages of this thread and cant seem to find an answer to my problem. I have an 08 with bose but i just ebayed a nav unit and its part number is 20790838. This seems to be a super rare part number. I did find that it comes out of a non bose truck. Is that even possible? it is out of a 09 sierra and now im scared it might not be compatible?
<!-- / message -->
Old October 18th, 2009, 12:34 PM
CF Active Member

Well I finally have an update regarding the "Destination Download" feature. I called Onstar and they opened a claim ticket. After about 1 week they called me with an update. They needed to send a refresh signal to my vehicle telling it that its now NAV capable. Once they did this, my navigation unit worked fine for destination downloads.

Last edited by mirage00; October 18th, 2009 at 12:36 PM.
Old October 21st, 2009, 7:47 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by EdDean67
I just bought a 07 3LT with nav and rear seat entertaiment. Can a dealer install the rear back-up camera?
Here's the answer

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Quick Reply: How to install OEM Nav on 2007 Tahoe