Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old August 6th, 2015, 2:11 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

How to install OEM Nav on 2007 Tahoe

Search this Thread

Old January 9th, 2010, 5:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed a new Navigation unit in my 2007 GMC Sierra SLT, and I cannot get the voice recognition working. When i hold the Voice button on the steering wheel, instead of getting a beep, it goes right to "Onstar ready". I connected the single VSS wire and the 2 VCIM wires to the Onstar box...does something need to be programmed to prevent the onstar from hijacking the voice button, or did I just not hook it up right?

On the plus side, everything else (chimes, volume, etc) seems to work just fine without any programming, and it wasn't theftlocked.

P.S. If anyone has a 2009 4.1 Nav DVD (original or backup) they want to get rid of, i'm interested
Old January 25th, 2010, 7:44 PM
CF Beginner

Just had a GM tech install a Nav unit in my 09 AV LTZ. Everything works great except the Voice turn by turn (no sound and I went trough the setup) and the turn list.. Any Ideas?? I am thinking it could be the update he did...but I am not sure.

TIA,
Mike

Last edited by mzodarg; January 25th, 2010 at 7:56 PM.
Old January 26th, 2010, 10:11 AM
CF Beginner

Sounds like the VSS wire isn't hooked up
Old January 26th, 2010, 7:11 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the reply- had it at the dealership all day, No luck diagnosing it. I did notice this morning that TBT does work, but only at less than 5mph, as designed. Still no voice, dealers will look at the VSS tomorrow and also the connection to the onstar module.

I did not install the unit, was a dealership install. Hopefully they will figure it out.

Any other suggestion are welcomed.

TIA,
Mike

Last edited by mzodarg; January 26th, 2010 at 7:23 PM.
Old January 26th, 2010, 7:43 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

the tech needs to run wires down to the amplifer from the radio.
if he didn't di that, then I'm willing to bet he didn't interface with the VCIM to allow for voice recognition
Old January 27th, 2010, 3:44 AM
CF Beginner

Not sure what wires need to be run from the radio to the amplifier, is this a seperate wire from VSS? IAW the instructions, there is no step saying Run wires (??) from Radio to amplifier.

Voice recognition is working in the truck just not Voice Navigational instructions. The feature is turned on in the software, just no Nav Audio.

Mike
Old January 27th, 2010, 2:03 PM
CF Beginner

Shawn,

Do you know why my voice recognition wouldnt work on my Nav? I have the wires connected to the Onstar, but when i press and hold the voice button on my steering wheel, it goes right to "Onstar Ready" so i have no chance to give the Nav any commands. I can set voice tags on the address book...it records me talking and plays it back, so i know the connection to Onstar is ok (cuz it uses that mic right?). Anythinig I can try or do I need to take it to the dealer?
Old January 27th, 2010, 6:32 PM
CF Beginner

AV spent another 8 hours at the dealership today, still no voice. I mentioned the wires from the radio to the Amp but not enough information fo rthem to proceed with a possible fix.

Unit is on an 09 LTZ

Shawnvw Can you please ellaborateon wires from Radio pin to amp pin??

Last edited by mzodarg; January 27th, 2010 at 6:35 PM.
Old February 10th, 2010, 10:43 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello again everyone. It's been a while since I have made the Nav install, years actually. A lot of the pictures are now gone. I have a question as I am doing another nav install in my new truck.

Which VSS green/white wire do I tap into on the back of the junction box? There are 2 on the back of my junction box. ONe towards the top, and one on the bottom. They are both in the larger connectors on the back of the VSS, one on the top large, and one on the bottom large connector. I am not referencing the 2 small ones on the bottom of the back of the junction, just the upper two. Thanks in advance.
Old February 11th, 2010, 7:11 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's the one closest to the pink or orange connector. That's how I remember it.

Quick Reply: How to install OEM Nav on 2007 Tahoe