Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old August 6th, 2015, 2:11 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

How to install OEM Nav on 2007 Tahoe

Search this Thread

Old September 7th, 2010, 12:24 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where can the VSS harness be purchased at these days? Did anyone else produce that product other than JP customs?
Old September 7th, 2010, 6:58 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by connexion2005
Where can the VSS harness be purchased at these days? Did anyone else produce that product other than JP customs?

Ebay:

here's one...
http://cgi.ebay.com/GM-GMC-CHEVY-TAH...item2a09fbd05f

my nav system tracked just fine without it. I only purchased the harness for the rear view camera connection. This ebay version also comes with a on star/navigation connector as well.
Old September 7th, 2010, 10:25 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks a lot I stumbled onto that this morning and was coming here to post it but saw you found it first...thanks a lot!

So what do the newer part numbers have to offer really? Anyone have release notes on them? They look identical and claim the same functionality so one could only think they are fixing bugs with the 3 or 4 various part numbers.
Old September 7th, 2010, 11:01 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks a lot I stumbled onto that this morning and was coming here to post it but saw you found it first...thanks a lot!

So what do the newer part numbers have to offer really? Anyone have release notes on them? They look identical and claim the same functionality so one could only think they are fixing bugs with the 3 or 4 various part numbers.
Well, they've changed manufactures of different components within the radio its self, possibly changed a sticker location... BASICALLY there's NO reason that they couldn't just offer 2 radios e.g. generic w/w/out XM, and nav---all programming is completed at the dealer...
Old September 7th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by piratenation08
Well, they've changed manufactures of different components within the radio its self, possibly changed a sticker location... BASICALLY there's NO reason that they couldn't just offer 2 radios e.g. generic w/w/out XM, and nav---all programming is completed at the dealer...

I'll bet they all have XM functionality. You just have to subscribe.

But they don't all have DVD capability.
Old September 7th, 2010, 12:01 PM
CF Beginner

So Pirate, can you confirm your setup worked out for the NAV?

I have a 2007 Black LTZ as well with RSE, Bose and Onstar and want to add NAV. I see you added the "older" of the two units listed which I don't really care if you can confirm everything works as it should have. Also just to check, all you have added at this point was the VSS/Onstar Harness, NAV Head unit and NAV GPS antenna correct? Did you happen to use the torrented file listed previously in this thread for an updated map disc or did you just buy one? I'm trying to piece together a known good combo from another owner of a 2007 Ltz so I know it will work without issues. Also do you have the Y91 code or not?
Old September 7th, 2010, 4:50 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2007 Black LTZ as well with RSE, Bose and Onstar and want to add NAV. I see you added the "older" of the two units listed which I don't really care if you can confirm everything works as it should have. Also just to check, all you have added at this point was the VSS/Onstar Harness, NAV Head unit and NAV GPS antenna correct? Did you happen to use the torrented file listed previously in this thread for an updated map disc or did you just buy one? I'm trying to piece together a known good combo from another owner of a 2007 Ltz so I know it will work without issues. Also do you have the Y91 code or not?
Ok...A couple things to keep everything I'm doing up to date---

The nav unit works perfectly after the second disc was bought/tried out (the first disc I bought had an issue and slowed down the processing of the nav unit and all button pressing). I bought the second disc (V5.0) of ebay for $55.00.

Current things I've bought for this setup:
1st attempt nav unit GM 15882766 (no door chimes, no turn signal clicker, no park assist beeps) we now think that the body control module may be why these beeps and chimes aren't working...REAR DVD/steering controls/BOSE speakers/REAR VIEW CAMERA work perfectly...VSS NOT REQUIRED!!!! but i installed it anyways.

2nd attempt nav unit GM 25846421 (will arrive WED. - tomorrow and programming will be attempted THURS. morning)

nav antenna
vss harness
onstar harness
kenwood Cmos 200 rear-view
factory rear view (possibly for sale)
rear bezel and molding for camera mounting

I do not have the Y91 option. I think it may only be in LTZ's and/or denali's and/or escalades, but I'm not sure. It's just a different amplifier. You can tell if you have it by looking at the sticker on the inside left corner of the glove compartment. There are quite a few 3 digit codes there that list all factory options installed on your vehicle. The dealer/gm service tech will have to select it if you have it in the GMLAN/TIS programming. No big deal.

I'll be back on THURS to give more updates!
Old September 7th, 2010, 6:30 PM
CF Beginner

OH and also...

IF YOU CHOOSE TO POWER YOUR CAMERA CORRECTLY... for the kenwood camera (which is AWESOME)... use fuse 49 under the hood for "keyed on" power... it took me a while to figure that out. that fuse powers the temp on the rear view and the rear ac I think ... use a bussman add a fuse and insert the original 10amp fuse in the bottom with a 2 amp fuse on top to fuse the line for the power to the camera... most people just tap the power from the reverse light. I don't really like that method.
Old September 7th, 2010, 8:30 PM
CF Beginner

Good info. I'm not seeing the silver box under my passenger seat that would indicate prewired backup camera wiring which is a shame that they didn't pre-wire all LTZ's from the factory. It should be obvious correct? As in it's not the one under the flap of carpet near the console under the passenger seat?

My other question is, if you wire the camera to that powered on fuse, then won't it retain power at all times? Also how does the head unit get the signal to switch to the reverse camera function? I'm guessing the tech II programs that info.
Old September 8th, 2010, 12:19 PM
CF Beginner

Yes, the box should be obvious. If you're car didn't come with the nav it won't be prewired for the camera.

If you wire it to fuse 49, it is only on when the key of the car is turned "on" (ie. keyed on or ACC power). The head unit gets the signal to switch to the camera input from the data bus system of the car when the car is placed in reverse. This has to be true because my nav screen switched to the camera input (when in reverse) before I even had the camera connected to the radio/power!!!

The tech II is only used to connect to the port in the car. 07 and newer have to now have the tech II connected to a CANDI module which is connected to a wireless/wired interface that connects to a PC (which connects to TIS). All programming is done on the PC. Earlier in this thread people mention using the tech II to program, well that is not really done anymore. Most service techs are doing it the way I just mentioned.

PS still waiting on the NAV unit...it should be here ANY MINUTE!!!

Quick Reply: How to install OEM Nav on 2007 Tahoe