Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Neucleus NC-X2iLAN iPod Integration for 07' GM's (ALTERNATIVE TO iConnect)

Search this Thread

Old January 10th, 2007, 1:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Neucleus NC-X2i iPod Integration for 07' GM's (ALTERNATIVE TO iConnect)

My initial thoughts on the Neucleus are IT'S DEFINITELY BETTER THAN THE iConnect, but it's still limited and a bit disappointing. I understand that this technology is pretty frickin' amazing, just the fact we can do what we can do with it is cool. I still wish there was a device that could handle ALL of the information that's on the iPod. I understand it's limited to 31 "slots" that the XM/head-unit software generates, but it would be nice if there was a way to just alternate the information in those limited 31 "slots". An example would be seeing albums 1-31 in the fields, but then being able to turn the tuning **** and get albums 32-63 in those same "slots", and so on and so on. That's what I was hoping this device did since I know most of us have hundreds of albums on our iPods.
TMW597,

Thanks for all the great info. I located this thread via Google while researching the NC-X2iLAN for use in my 2007 Suburban, and joined the forum right away. It looks like a great place to get/share info.

I'm wondering if you can elaborate on the unit's limitations. For example:

What do you mean by the 31-slot limit? Does that mean the GM head unit can only display 31 items in each scrolling list?

Also, the pics to which you linked on the Cadillac Integration site were very helpful, but they led me to another question... Are the iPod's menus still hierarchical on the Nav display? For example in the 3rd pic, the "Artist" button has been "pushed" and a list of artist buttons is displayed beside it. What happens when you "push" one of those artist buttons? Does the display then switch to a list of the albums by that artist, like the iPod's interface does? And if so, does selecting an album in that list result in a list of tracks for that album?

Can you fully utilize all of the controls that are available on the Nav screen while driving, or are some functions limited to when the transmission is in Park, like some of GM's functions?

Finally, were all necessary connections made behind your glove box? Did you have to remove any dash panels or parts of your center console? Otherwise modify your interior?

Sorry to be such a pest, but details like these sure seem to be scarce...

THANKS!
Old January 10th, 2007, 2:03 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Neucleus NC-X2i iPod Integration for 07' GM's (ALTERNATIVE TO iConnect)

raneil,

I have to quick reply to this for now because I'm running out of the door.

I've just spent two days at CES in Las Vegas. First off let me say the guys at American International are great! http://www.americaninternational.net/ They are the ones that make the Neucleus. But I've got to tell you that the guys at Peripheral Electronics http://peripheralelectronics.com/home.asp have a device coming out that is going to totally negate this post and your questions.

It gives you FULL access to ALL of your playlists, artists, genre, etc. from the nav head-unit using the tuning ****, and NOT the pre-determined slots that are on the nav head unit. They rewrote the software and took it in a totally different direction. I plugged my own personal iPod into it right at the show and used it for myself. It works! But wait!!! There's more!!!! It also has built-in Bluetooth so you can use your own phone and NOT the Onstar through your audio system. Just think Onstar features, with your own personal phone. It even pops up caller ID (Name and number!) on the nav head-unit, and again it's all controlled by the nav head unit. If you're into HD radio you can have that function as well. I think it also does the Zune or other USB MP3 players. They hooked it up!

I'm going to have a CES update probably next week sometime after things slow down for me. My quick advise: Go with a Neucleus for now until Peripheral drops this product.

(In all fairness American International is working on a solution as well. So are all of the others out there, but Peripheral had theirs up and running!)

raneil, here let me touch on your other questions real quick.

Q: What do you mean by the 31-slot limit? Does that mean the GM head unit can only display 31 items in each scrolling list?
A: Yes, exactly, that's its limit.

Q: Also, the pics to which you linked on the Cadillac Integration site were very helpful, but they led me to another question... Are the iPod's menus still hierarchical on the Nav display? For example in the 3rd pic, the "Artist" button has been "pushed" and a list of artist buttons is displayed beside it. What happens when you "push" one of those artist buttons? Does the display then switch to a list of the albums by that artist, like the iPod's interface does? And if so, does selecting an album in that list result in a list of tracks for that album?
A: Yes, but again it's limited to only that 31-36 slots that the GM nav head-unit's software will hold. It DOES NOT branch out the songs though like the iPod. You can only click on the album, then you have to scan through your songs. Hope that makes sense.

Q: Can you fully utilize all of the controls that are available on the Nav screen while driving, or are some functions limited to when the transmission is in Park, like some of GM's functions?
A: Get a GMLockPick and you'll be able to scroll through things and nav options while in drive. http://www.coastaletech.com/GMLOCKPICK.htm

Q: Finally, were all necessary connections made behind your glove box? Did you have to remove any dash panels or parts of your center console? Otherwise modify your interior?
A: The Neucleus is all done behind the glove box and takes about 2 minutes to install.

Old January 10th, 2007, 2:33 PM
CF Beginner

Wow! Great (and fast!) response. TMW597, you are THE MAN!

I'll probably just keep using a plain audio cable and drive the iPod via its own interface for now... at least until the new products you've described are available. I really like the idea of adding a Bluetooth phone interface. My wife's Town & Country has that, and it's sweet!

Thanks again for answering my questions so completely & quickly. Do keep us posted on the new products you mentioned. When I finally DO get my setup installed, I'll be sure to report back here with details -- I'd like to be able to contribute here in the future.

Old January 10th, 2007, 2:40 PM
CF Junior Member

Unfortunately I don't have the NAV head unit but would also like to use an ipod thru the steering wheel controls. I also very much like the idea of having bluetooth thru the system (C'mon 50K for a truck and no bluetooth).

Old January 11th, 2007, 1:42 AM
CF Beginner

Exactly the way I feel....50K and no bluetooth. It sucks when you see it advertised on a cheap Toyota.

That's been a huge peeve of mine. I have two Parrot CK3100 on my two older vehicles which I can understand, but a Next Gen 900 woitout it? Give me a break....
Old January 11th, 2007, 2:56 PM
CF Junior Member

http://peripheralelectronics.com/pre...ails.asp?ID=98

though they dont mention the bluetooth stuff..you sure this isnt a second module they are working on? costaltech even makes a bluetooth module for the GMT900, though it doesnt interface the nav screen

can you verify if the unit you played with was in fact the PXDP3? id be all over it if so..

http://peripheralelectronics.com/pro...amp;strSearch=
http://www.autotoys.com/x/cust/produ...productid=8687

Old January 12th, 2007, 12:49 PM
CF Senior Member

The Peripheral PXDP3, Neucleus NC-X2iLAN, and Scosche AXIPGMLAN are all the same device FYI. The firmware is a little different for each manufacturer, as they customize their information/name in the head- unit, but they're all the same piece of hardware which is obvious just by their appearance. Take the stickers off of them and put them side by side you won't be able to tell the difference. None of these three products do anything more than the other, but they are all more functional than the iConnect. They at least allow you to manually hold and control your iPod when it's plugged in.

So vyslouzil this is NOT the piece that I tested at CES. The guys tell me it won't be ready for a few months.
Old January 12th, 2007, 1:09 PM
CF Senior Member

ORIGINAL: raneil

Wow! Great (and fast!) response. TMW597, you are THE MAN!

I'll probably just keep using a plain audio cable and drive the iPod via its own interface for now... at least until the new products you've described are available. I really like the idea of adding a Bluetooth phone interface. My wife's Town & Country has that, and it's sweet!

Thanks again for answering my questions so completely & quickly. Do keep us posted on the new products you mentioned. When I finally DO get my setup installed, I'll be sure to report back here with details -- I'd like to be able to contribute here in the future.

I have a Neucleus NC-X2i for $150 if you'd like. It's better than a cable.
Old January 12th, 2007, 2:10 PM
CF Junior Member

alright cool..so lets all keep an eye our Peripherals site and post when the new product is ready.

ORIGINAL: TMW597

The Peripheral PXDP3, Neucleus NC-X2iLAN, and Scosche AXIPGMLAN are all the same device FYI. The firmware is a little different for each manufacturer, as they customize their information/name in the head- unit, but they're all the same piece of hardware which is obvious just by their appearance. Take the stickers off of them and put them side by side you won't be able to tell the difference. None of these three products do anything more than the other, but they are all more functional than the iConnect. They at least allow you to manually hold and control your iPod when it's plugged in.

So vyslouzil this is NOT the piece that I tested at CES. The guys tell me it won't be ready for a few months.
Old January 19th, 2007, 2:03 AM
CF Senior Member

ORIGINAL: vyslouzil

http://peripheralelectronics.com/pre...ails.asp?ID=98

though they dont mention the bluetooth stuff..you sure this isnt a second module they are working on? costaltech even makes a bluetooth module for the GMT900, though it doesnt interface the nav screen

can you verify if the unit you played with was in fact the PXDP3? id be all over it if so..

http://peripheralelectronics.com/pro...amp;strSearch=
http://www.autotoys.com/x/cust/produ...productid=8687
This is the unit that I used at CES:

Peripheral Electronics keeps a focused eye toward the future of OEM innovation with the release of the first-ever Automotive Gateway Interface (PXDG) to enable multiple consumer electronics technologies in the automobile. This revolutionary interface provides seamless integration of iPod and MP3 players as well as HD Radio and Bluetooth for hands-free cell phone and audio streaming. By plugging directly into the factory stereo, the PXDG interface allows for direct communication with aftermarket devices without losing any of the system's functionality and control from the head unit.

Saw this here: http://www.aampofamerica.com/web/pre...ral.asp?ID=105

Quick Reply: Neucleus NC-X2iLAN iPod Integration for 07' GM's (ALTERNATIVE TO iConnect)