Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Power window going down on startup or key insertion

Search this Thread

Old November 25th, 2011, 3:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power window going down on startup or key insertion

The rear passsenger window goes down automatically when I startup. Then will not go up with either switch. I turn engine off click the switches more, start up again and window works fine. I've been able to repeat this several times. I've removed and inspected both switches (no soda pop or other noticeable contaminates) replaced and repeated. Quite a poser for me any help would be apreciated. Thanks
Old November 25th, 2011, 5:52 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the forum! Does it still do it if you unplug the window control from the door? Im thinking one of them might be shorted in the window down position.
Old November 25th, 2011, 5:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2000 Suburban (had to look up your profile)? It's probably one of three things: driver window switch, left rear window switch contacts, or window down relay in the left rear window switch. As Mike stated, if the problem persists with the driver window switch disconnected, the culprit is probably the sticky relay in the left rear window switch. Otherwise, if the problem persists with the driver window switch connected but the lockout engaged, the culprit is probably a sticky switch in the driver window switch.
Old November 25th, 2011, 8:38 PM
CF Beginner

I disconnected both the driver and window switches and sprayed some contact cleaner in both, reconnected and tested. Everything seemed fine, tested half a dozen times no problem. Put it all back together and problem re-occurred. When I disconnected the either of the switches individually it didn't occur but neither switch would work with the other disconnected, so I'm not sure of the sequence these switches are in. I did this before reading your responses, so will try to isoloate more, I think I will try using the other door's switch to see if that persists. Thank you for your quick responses. I' suspect of the door switch. Is the relay built into the switch or is it seperate. I will also try with the lockout engaged.
Old November 25th, 2011, 9:23 PM
CF Veteran

The relay I'm referring to is part of the left rear switch. Now, if you disconnect the driver window switch, it'll disable the switch circuit in the left rear switch as well. Then, the only way the left rear window will roll down by itself is if the relay is malfunctioning. If you connect the driver window switch back but engage the lockout, the switch circuit in the left rear switch will be disabled. Anything funny going on in the driver window switch can still cause the left rear window to roll down by itself.
Old November 27th, 2011, 1:52 PM
CF Beginner

It would appear to be in the passenger door switch, I swapped it with the other rear door switch and the problem occured on that door. I hadn't heard of something like this before and searched the interweb without much luck so tried this forum. Thank you very much for your help.
Old November 27th, 2011, 8:34 PM
CF Veteran

Sounds like you found the culprit. Thanks for the update.
Old November 28th, 2011, 1:34 AM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool, yeah, thanks for the update, have you tried spraying electrical cleaner in the bad switch unit? Im just thinking it has to be fixable without buying a new one. Or have you taken it apart once its off the door? to look for dirty, burnt or broken areas.