Venture 1997-2005
This minivan from Chevy offers a sporty look as well as all of the modern additons of the minivan market.
Platform: U-Body

2003 Venture dying while driving

Old July 29th, 2016, 5:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Venture dying while driving

My son gave me his 2003 Venture. It had 224,400 miles on it, but started OK, ran fine, shifted great, and I put over 1,500 miles on it without a problem. Lately I can be driving around town and suddenly the motor will stop/die. Once it stops, it starts right away. I've taken it to a mechanic and all he could find was a battery cable that was very corroded and changed it out. I picked it up and drove it and about 4 days later it did the same thing. I coasted to a stop and turned the ignition off then back on. It started right away. I took it back to him and he drove it for several days but it didn't die on him. Yesterday while driving home it stopped and I was able to pull into a side street and stop. Boy, when the motor stops the power steering doesn't work! I turned the ignition off, then back on and it immediately started again. I drove home without a problem even though it was the busy time of day and I had several stops for stop lights. Before this last stop my mechanic cleaned a sensor on the motor but can't remember which one. Does anyone have any suggestions for me to give to him the next time it does this? He told me that it isn't stopping long enough to register a code so he can see what the problem is. At first we thought it might be the alternator, but he said it checked out OK, as well as the battery. The battery is new. He also checked out the spark plugs and said none of them were showing any variance.
Old July 29th, 2016, 8:39 PM
CF Active Member

An intermittent problem that isn't throwing codes can be hard to diagnose, this is where it can start costing money from throwing parts at it with your fingers crossed. Have you noticed any patterns to when it happens such as weather conditions, engine temp, how many miles into your trip?

Fuel pumps don't always just die so that might be a good place to start as well as changing the fuel filter. Perhaps even a new gas cap.
Probably not the problem, but a new PCV can't hurt and it's cheap.
You mentioned the mechanic checked the plugs so I assume he also had a good look at the wires.
Old July 30th, 2016, 12:39 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the info. I'll go the PCV, gas cap, and the fuel filter as starters since that is the cheapest route. Hopefully one of them will be the answer. I'll update later if one of them works.
Old July 30th, 2016, 1:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Our 93 suburban did this for several weeks until it finally would not re-start. Turned out to be the ignition module in the distributor. Don't know if your '03 has the same part but it's a common failure and especially starts acting up when it gets hot. Our '93 has over 300k miles and it's on its 3rd module. Part is under $100.
Old July 31st, 2016, 1:40 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks, if the gas cap, PCV, or the new fuel filter doesn't work, we'll look to see if the Venture has that part. I'm thinking it might be the fuel filter. I asked my son, who gave me the van, if he ever changed out the cabin filter. His reply was, "Oh, when they change the oid and filter, they do that too." They don't. I did and it was almost like taking a bird nest down it was so dirty with pieces of sticks, straw, leaves and other stuff. I had to wash my hands after changing it.
Old August 4th, 2016, 11:56 AM
CF Beginner

Check out this video on the fuel filter:
Old August 8th, 2016, 3:12 PM
CF Beginner

Well, we got the new gas filter in. On the way home from the garage as I was turning into my street, the van died. I had a hard time turning the wheel due to the engine stopping. I rolled to a stop. Put the transmission in Park, turned the radio off, and hit the key to start. It started without any problem, but it was missing for about 3-4 seconds then cleared up and I drove up the hill to our house and parked it. My van doesn't have the ignition module in the distributor. I'm not sure about the PCV valve. I'll have to look. I guess I could buy a gas cap just to rule that one out. However, it seems to be getting more frequent. It didn't cut out taking it to the garage the other day. But, it did stop this time coming home. Any other ideas anyone might have? The mechanic doesn't want to do something that involves a cost of $100 to $300 and then that not be the solution. I don't either! Thankfully he is a good friend and a brother in Christ or I might be putting stuff on it that wasn't needed but having to pay for.
Old August 8th, 2016, 9:29 PM
CF Active Member

Was that sensor the mechanic cleaned the crank sensor?
With it missing for 3-4 seconds perhaps there are now some pending codes that can be read.
Old August 9th, 2016, 6:07 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2003 Venture Dying While Driving

Well, I talked to my mechanic and he asked if a light on the dash appeared concerning the engine. I went to look and it did. I started the engine and it ran for about 4-5 minutes and stopped with the engine light coming back on. I started the engine again, the light came on when I started it. It ran about 5 minutes and stopped again with the light on during the entire period. I'm sure I have that missing code now. Since it is stopping so often, I guess I'll call Triple A to haul it in to the mechanic. Now, I just hope it isn't something that I'll have to give an arm or a leg for! If so, then it was enjoyable driving it for the 1,500+ miles that I had it. My son put 224,400 miles on it himself.
Old August 9th, 2016, 6:08 AM
CF Beginner

Oh, when the mechanic repairs the problem, I'll let you know what it was. Maybe, if someone else has the same problem, it will be the same thing?

Search this Thread