Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Random no start need help

Search this Thread

Old January 5th, 2020, 1:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random no start need help

I have a 2003 chevy Silverado 1500 with 5.3 vortec 223000 miles on it I have been haveing a intermittent starting issue when you turn the key over it clicks it's very random I have come to notice that it does it more when the truck is parked in the sun for a period of time like something is getting hot sometimes if you hold the key in start postion it will eventually start then wont do it for a month or so new relay new battery no codes tried different key checked grounds and wires on starter all good n clean I've heard alot of people had this issue but never heard a fix any ideals will be appreciated thanks

Last edited by Robin Werner; January 5th, 2020 at 2:45 PM. Reason: Wrong engine size
Old January 5th, 2020, 1:34 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

What's the history on the starter?
The following users liked this post:
Robin Werner (January 5th, 2020)
Old January 5th, 2020, 1:37 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
What's the history on the starter?
as far as i was told it was replaced 2 years ago .
Old January 5th, 2020, 2:19 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Does it sound like it is dragging? What you describe hearing is a solenoid issue. These are not hard to replace, and are very light weight compared to old versions. You might try just replacing the starter solenoid if it's not dragging.
Old January 5th, 2020, 2:33 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
Does it sound like it is dragging? What you describe hearing is a solenoid issue. These are not hard to replace, and are very light weight compared to old versions. You might try just replacing the starter solenoid if it's not dragging.
When you hold key to start ""when it acts up "" it sounds like not enough volts from battery clicking then all of a sudden it might and might not start till you mess with it a bit it is very random I've read about ignition tumblers sometimes so I changed keys still randomly does it and sometimes I have noticed the security light is on very dim in dash but usually dont effect anything as I know of its random also but I will try the starter first just read alot of people dont have much luck with starter and intermittent starting but I'll go that way thanks
Old January 6th, 2020, 7:30 AM
CF Monarch

Received 343 Likes on 324 Posts

Have you checked both battery cables? Do they have tight connections with no corrosion at both ends?
Old January 6th, 2020, 8:03 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oldchevy
Have you checked both battery cables? Do they have tight connections with no corrosion at both ends?
. Yes I have even went around the truck and cleaned all grounds I could find ..engine to frame and frame to body ..
Old January 6th, 2020, 9:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 205 Likes on 179 Posts

Sounds like time for a new starter
Old January 6th, 2020, 10:04 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Rednucleus
Sounds like time for a new starter
. I have one coming this week due to them being 200 $ at local parts store and hearing alot of similar stories of random no starts and them replacing starter with same issue afterwards I was trying to see if anyone found the solution there is alot of threads on net with same issue but with it being random you never know if it's fixed untill it happens again Chevy has had a issue with this in Silverado and avalanches since 2001 ...