Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.
Old July 22nd, 2015, 5:01 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

2008 Silverado dash cracking

Search this Thread

Old April 27th, 2016, 10:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I LOVE my 2007 Z71 Crew Cab we have been through a lot together!! My dash is going through the same ordeal. Is it a defect\recall or am I coming out of pocket to replace it?
Old April 28th, 2016, 10:54 PM
CF Beginner

Default dash problem 2009 Sierra

I was actually able to correct the cracked dash on my 09 Sierra. search the internet to no avail, but was directed to a company in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma by name of Gipson Supply. they were able to provide an aftermarket full dash replacement that easily glued over the old one, fit perfectly, same or better material, no dash removal or fancy cutting required. Professionals that I asked to inspect the unit after installation were convinced that it was the original dash and were totally blown away when I told them it was aftermarket.
COST: $127.00, you can install it yourself or pay a professional for about an hours work (comes with silicone)

totally satisfied and it feels like it is stronger than the original.
Old April 29th, 2016, 2:28 PM
CF Beginner

I would do what Shox 5 did, GM won't help
Old April 29th, 2016, 3:03 PM
CF Beginner

You can also go to safecar.gov & file a complaint. There is also talk about class action suits that are going to be filed
Old May 28th, 2016, 5:57 PM
CF Beginner

Default Same issue

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
Hello everyone,

If you are having problems with a cracked dash, please PM us your VIN, full name, mileage, contact information, and dealership, and we will try to assist you with this concern.

Thanks

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
I'm having the same issue as everyone else, I have a 08 chevy silverado and the dashboard is cracked on the top left hand side by the passenger air bag. It's about an inch or 2 long. It's really embarrassing because I've taken great care of the truck and haven't had it for a full year yet. Also it's starting to get rust bubbles over the drivers side back wheel hub. It's only an 08, why is already rusting? I'm almost sure there isn't any warranty left on it as I bought from the local chevy dealership used but why hasn't this issue been addressed by GM? ANY help appreciated.
Old June 15th, 2016, 10:17 AM
CF Beginner

FYI to all who have experienced this issue, I sent a PM to "Chevy Customer Service" as they requested on several of the posts here...They were of no assistance. GM doesn't care to take care of its customers or fix its cheap/poorly made design. Plain and simple. Also, I will note the dealerships' suggestion to the problem was first to buy a new Chevy truck...no thanks.

You can see the correspondence below...

This is the message that was sent:
Hi --,

Thank you for reaching out to us directly to bring this to our attention. After looking into your cases, I see that all resources have been exhausted at this time. As a result, the resolution given still stands. I apologize as I know this is not the outcome you were seeking. If you do have any additional questions, please contact the dealership as they will be in the best position to assist you.

Sincerely,

Chelsea D.
Chevrolet Customer Care

---Quote (Originally by Fosy82)---
Hello-

My name is --. My VIN is ---. My mileage is currently 144k, however the problem showed up around the 100k mark. I have contacted the dealer and GM already. GM said the dealer had to handle this issue, and the dealer's solution was a $1000 replacement, for which they offered $100 "assistance", so a total of $900. They said GM would not help in any way with it. The original case number is --

My dealer is ---.

Please let me know if there is anything further that can be done, otherwise I cannot justify a $900 fix. I have already sank far too much money into this vehicle for what I paid for it.

Thank you,

Old June 17th, 2016, 8:46 AM
CF Beginner

Default Sillverado Issues

Originally Posted by Fosy82
FYI to all who have experienced this issue, I sent a PM to "Chevy Customer Service" as they requested on several of the posts here...They were of no assistance. GM doesn't care to take care of its customers or fix its cheap/poorly made design. Plain and simple. Also, I will note the dealerships' suggestion to the problem was first to buy a new Chevy truck...no thanks.

You can see the correspondence below...

This is the message that was sent:
Hi --,

Thank you for reaching out to us directly to bring this to our attention. After looking into your cases, I see that all resources have been exhausted at this time. As a result, the resolution given still stands. I apologize as I know this is not the outcome you were seeking. If you do have any additional questions, please contact the dealership as they will be in the best position to assist you.

Sincerely,

Chelsea D.
Chevrolet Customer Care

---Quote (Originally by Fosy82)---
Hello-

My name is --. My VIN is ---. My mileage is currently 144k, however the problem showed up around the 100k mark. I have contacted the dealer and GM already. GM said the dealer had to handle this issue, and the dealer's solution was a $1000 replacement, for which they offered $100 "assistance", so a total of $900. They said GM would not help in any way with it. The original case number is --

My dealer is ---.

Please let me know if there is anything further that can be done, otherwise I cannot justify a $900 fix. I have already sank far too much money into this vehicle for what I paid for it.

Thank you,

Fosy82,
Do like I did, trade it in or sell it for what you can get and walk away from GM. I gave them a chance, and they don't stand by their products so my motto has become "never again". Burn me once and it's on me, but they won't get a second chance.
perryrip
Old December 31st, 2016, 11:22 AM
CF Beginner

I'm having the exact same problem on my 07 Silverado LT, it is shameful that the companies cry for us to bail them out, patriots cry for us to buy American, and they sell us this crap then turn there backs once they've fooled us. Respect should be earned not given cause your businesses name. You can do better CHEVY !
Old May 13th, 2017, 7:10 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have replaced the dash in my 07 Tahoe, my 2010 Suburban and my 2009 Duramax. The only one that was free was the Tahoe. I will still not buy a Dodge or Ford
Old December 22nd, 2017, 3:21 PM
CF Beginner

Thumbs down Another failure

I have experienced a problem with my 2008 Silverado 2500. I have two cracks in the dashboard. This was a common failure and gm was covering these failures in the past. Is it still possible to get assistance with this issue? I am concerned about the safety as one crack is right next to the passenger airbag (the most common point of failure apparently).

Please let me know if GM is still honoring their promise to assist customers repair this common failure.

I may be reached at 540-850-6391 or tyler@whidby.org

2008 HD. VIN 1GCHK23658F129935

I would work with either Jim McKay Chevrolet or country GMC in Leesburg, VA.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW AS THIS FAILURE SIGNIFICANTLY IMPAIRED MY RESALE VALUE AND CONFIDENCE IN SAFETY OF MY CHEVROLET.

Tyler Whidby

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
Hello aggiewill08,

I am sorry you are experiencing a cracked dash with your truck. I understand your frustration and would like to look into your situation for you. Please reach out to us via private message on this forum or by email at socialmedia@gm.com. Include your full contact information, VIN, current mileage and your preferred dealer name and location you would work with.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Quick Reply: 2008 Silverado dash cracking