Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

oil gallery plug

Search this Thread

Old April 23rd, 2020, 1:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil gallery plug

Hi all im new to the forum but hoping someone on here may be able to offer me some advise. i have a z20let engine and am fitting new oil gallery plugs. they are m14 tappered thread. the problem is i have made a boo boo and accidently used a straight tap to clear the threads my local engine shop says it will be fine if i use the correct thread seal. can you guys offer any advice
thanks
Old April 23rd, 2020, 2:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

The oil system isn't under super high pressure. 60 psi max. So the seal doesn't need be incredibly precise. Worst case it'll just seep a bit over time. If you can live with that then do what the man says.

The alternative would be to use a M14 fastener that has a head. Then you could put something like plastic or copper washer under it to seal up tight (like your drain pan plug). The surface around the hole would have to be flat though.
Old April 23rd, 2020, 3:28 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
The oil system isn't under super high pressure. 60 psi max. So the seal doesn't need be incredibly precise. Worst case it'll just seep a bit over time. If you can live with that then do what the man says.

The alternative would be to use a M14 fastener that has a head. Then you could put something like plastic or copper washer under it to seal up tight (like your drain pan plug). The surface around the hole would have to be flat though.
Thanks very much for the reply. ok this reasures me a little. yeah i had considered the second option already but there is little surface ares to create a seal. im just looking and there is around 4 to 5mm of unthreaded section in the hole. im wondering weather it would be worth running the correct tap a little further into the hole to try and create a bit of tapper
Old April 23rd, 2020, 4:15 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by tonythecat1
Thanks very much for the reply. ok this reasures me a little. yeah i had considered the second option already but there is little surface ares to create a seal. im just looking and there is around 4 to 5mm of unthreaded section in the hole. im wondering weather it would be worth running the correct tap a little further into the hole to try and create a bit of tapper
You might be able to oversize it.
Old April 23rd, 2020, 4:21 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
You might be able to oversize it.
struggling to find a tapperd tap and plug bigger than 14mm