Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2002 Malibu will not start

Search this Thread

Old November 17th, 2012, 2:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Volt meter / ohm meter and twenty years as electronic engineer.
Old November 17th, 2012, 3:07 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Then you'll have to get a diagram that shows where the power comes from to the fuse.
Old November 17th, 2012, 3:11 PM
CF Beginner

any idea where I can get one?
Old November 17th, 2012, 3:37 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

You can try a Haynes or Chilton manual. I've found most of Haynes are very vauge.
Old November 19th, 2012, 4:20 AM
CF Beginner

When you mentioned that the cooling fans don't work, then you should look to see if the A/C compressor Diode is ok in the engine compartment fuse box.Make sure that it is facing the right way. See which direction it should go. check your service manual on page 8-95. When checking a diode with a ohm multimeter, continuity will work one way but not when you reverve the leads. If you get no continuity either way, then the diode is bad and must be replaced. Buy the diode from the dealer or get it from a local junk yard. When installing the new diode, look at the diagram on the back of the fuse cover to see which direction the diode should go. If it is installed in the wrong direction the diode will blow open.
Old May 9th, 2013, 2:07 PM
CF Beginner

Perhaps you should take it to someone who knows what they're talking about instead of spending money in unnecessary places. From your tone, it sounds like you own a foreign car. These cars are not junk. If you neglect to take care of any car they are going to give you problems. Toyota, Honda, Chrysler... I don't care. Any car can be good, and any car can be junk. I prefer that you don't insult a brand that you know nothing about. When you do insult the brand or car; you are insulting the person who owns it. I don't like to be insulted and neither does anyone else. It's unfortunate that your mother-in-law's car is a POS. Perhaps she should take care of it. When one sensor fails, the car does not become a POS. When you are constantly fixing it, the car is a POS. I can guarantee you, if you take car of a Malibu, that car will do nothing but serve you well for a very very very long time. I will dispute that with anyone.

Educate yourself in auto mechanics before drawing a reliability conclusion about a particular vehicle or any vehicles for that matter... I stand by GM because I have owned multiple vehicles that have done nothing but be continuously reliable and excellent cars. I'm sure the Blazer people or Impala people would get upset if you said the same about their cars.

these are junk every one has same problems they should be recalled instead I get a pos that starts when it wants might as well ride a horse with no saddle chevy sucks after this

Last edited by Zach Gaedtke; May 9th, 2013 at 2:39 PM.
Old May 27th, 2013, 1:18 PM
CF Beginner

Default wont start

I have a 2005 malibu base model, and i will not start or turn over, nothing in the car turns on when i put the key in to start. Put charger on battery and the horn started honking as if it was the alarm going off. Any help on this problem
Old December 22nd, 2015, 10:27 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2002 Malibu Starts only when cold

My 2002 Malibu (3.1L) starts like a champ when the engine is cold (not run). When I shut it down after a trip (engine at running temp), it will not start, even after sitting for an hour. When it fails, it cranks fine, but won't fire. The next morning, it revs right up. I know all about the passlock reset. I have been doing that for years. It is not that. The car runs like a champ. No sputter or hesitation. Tack is steady, idles smooth and it is very responsive. Just took it in for this problem. No weird codes. Tech changed bad water pump, thermostat, belt, hazard flasher switch (clicking, draining battery), flushed and filled. Said it was running a little hot, and that was my starting problem. It was not. Changed the ignition cylinder (needed one-key hanging), and put toggle switch inline on yellow wire to bypass passlock. Works great. Fuel pump moans when key is turned. Runs fine when started. Can't be the fuel pump (can it)? Is it ignition SWITCH, and not cylinder? Does CPS fail intermittently? Drive it, park it, won't start. Let it sit several hours, fires right up. Never fails, cold. I don't get it. Like the car otherwise. I'm stumped! Any help will sure be nice. Thanks.

Last edited by Hamdog; December 22nd, 2015 at 10:49 PM.
Old December 23rd, 2015, 9:10 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Hamdog
My 2002 Malibu (3.1L) starts like a champ when the engine is cold (not run). When I shut it down after a trip (engine at running temp), it will not start, even after sitting for an hour. When it fails, it cranks fine, but won't fire. The next morning, it revs right up. I know all about the passlock reset. I have been doing that for years. It is not that. The car runs like a champ. No sputter or hesitation. Tack is steady, idles smooth and it is very responsive. Just took it in for this problem. No weird codes. Tech changed bad water pump, thermostat, belt, hazard flasher switch (clicking, draining battery), flushed and filled. Said it was running a little hot, and that was my starting problem. It was not. Changed the ignition cylinder (needed one-key hanging), and put toggle switch inline on yellow wire to bypass passlock. Works great. Fuel pump moans when key is turned. Runs fine when started. Can't be the fuel pump (can it)? Is it ignition SWITCH, and not cylinder? Does CPS fail intermittently? Drive it, park it, won't start. Let it sit several hours, fires right up. Never fails, cold. I don't get it. Like the car otherwise. I'm stumped! Any help will sure be nice. Thanks.
Yes your issue sounds exactly like mine and turned out to be crank position sensor. I kept trying to figure out a method to the issue,but there wasn't really one. It did seem to cold start better...but anyways that would definitely be my never step if I were you. Not too expensive. Worst part is getting the crank pulley off.