Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rear brakes clicking - 05 silverado

Search this Thread

Old April 28th, 2011, 1:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Rear brakes clicking - 05 silverado

I have an 05 Silverado crew cab with drum brakes on the rear and I just replaced the shoes. I assembled everything like it came apart (As far as I can tell anyways) and now, there is a click click click noise coming from the rear every time I put on the brakes. It sounds like the rear brake adjuster arm climbing the adjuster wheel then getting pulled back off by the spring tension and making the clicking sound. I have adjusted the rear brakes up as far as I can without making the drums and brakes drag to no avail... the harder you put on the brakes the louder the clicking is and it doesn't seem to change much with vehicle speed... What could I have possibly done wrong?

I appreciate any advice - thanks in advance!

-Dan
Old May 3rd, 2011, 1:07 PM
CF Beginner

Cool

Bump...
Old September 14th, 2011, 2:04 PM
CF Beginner

Any updates on this?

I have the same problem on my 05 colorado. SOmetimes i can drive a full day with no "clacking" sound.
Old September 15th, 2011, 5:30 AM
CF Junior Member

With drum brakes, after changing them, I'd drive backwards and hit the brakes hard a few times. This was suppose to allow the drums to re-adjust to where they should be. I also think there is a special lube that you can put on the adjuster...could fix your issue.
Old September 15th, 2011, 12:53 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by recondrill
With drum brakes, after changing them, I'd drive backwards and hit the brakes hard a few times. This was suppose to allow the drums to re-adjust to where they should be. I also think there is a special lube that you can put on the adjuster...could fix your issue.
Thats what I would suggest. Old style drum had the adjuster on the bottom, these are at the top. Still, (old hat) backup, and pump brakes is the way for the self adjuster to work.
Old September 16th, 2011, 5:25 AM
CF Beginner

Default Re:

Thanks for the help, guys - but I have tried everything. I have backed up and put the brakes on until the cows come home. I even took everything back apart and adjusted it manually until I could barely get the drums back on... It still clicks... Sadly, I've just decided to live with it... I have never seen (heard) anything like it before. Its really weird.

-Dan
Old September 16th, 2011, 9:05 AM
CF Monarch

If you could pinpoint where it is comming from, that'd be a plus. One thing you might try is take them back apart, and on the metal to metal items put a little anti-sieze on those contact points.
Old September 16th, 2011, 12:34 PM
CF Beginner

Here is something i noticed on my brakes. Might have something to do with the clicking noise? Im experiencing clicking from the rear passenger's side
Attached Thumbnails Rear brakes clicking - 05 silverado-brakes.jpg  
Old September 16th, 2011, 1:00 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by LANDISIMO
Here is something i noticed on my brakes. Might have something to do with the clicking noise? Im experiencing clicking from the rear passenger's side
Thats the self adjuster. I'd say a little anti-sieze on metal to metal contact points. I've not delt with new drum brakes, but old cars (new shoes) have a diagram on the metal to metal places to put anti-sieze on. That is to help keep the squeek out. Something to think about.
Old September 16th, 2011, 1:06 PM
CF Beginner

Coo! thanks kevin