Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Squeaking Noise From Wheel Well (96 K1500)

Search this Thread

Old February 16th, 2012, 9:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaking Noise From Wheel Well (96 K1500)

I have a 1996 K1500 and there has been a squeak coming from the wheel well. Goes away when i turn towards the right but gets worse when going straight or to the left. sounds like a metal squeak(metallic brushing sound) in sync with tire revolutions but when driving slow it almost sounds like a rubber squeak. nothing is rubbing tires but there is a split in the cv axle boot where the clamp ties it down. Any Help? Thanks

Also there is no bearing slop when i move tire on the lift.
Old February 16th, 2012, 10:27 PM
CF Beginner

Could be ball joints, wheel bearings ( you already checked that though), shocks, and possibly even the rubber that connects to the inner well of your fender. I had a similar problem with my truck, I was so worried it was the ball joints making the noise, ended up being the rubber in the inner fender well, was rubbing on my tire.
Old February 16th, 2012, 10:32 PM
CF Beginner

yea i'm leaning towards dry bearings cause of the split boot or the cv axle failing. it starts when it gets hot. nothing is rubbing the tire though.

Sound
Whats this squeak noise? - YouTube
Old February 16th, 2012, 10:35 PM
CF Beginner

Well I am no mechanic, But I'm just going off of similar problems I have had. I could see it being the bearing though. I had that similar problem, My front left bearing was clogged with dirt, from driving the country roads during a bad storm. Think it ended up being about a 60 dollar repair is all though. Hope you figure out the problem though, Good luck.

Just listened to the video you had, I would think the only thing it could be, is the bearings. I can ask my buddy, He is a mechanic. He may know a little more about it then me.

Last edited by 89burban; February 16th, 2012 at 10:38 PM.
Old February 16th, 2012, 10:43 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 89burban
Well I am no mechanic, But I'm just going off of similar problems I have had. I could see it being the bearing though. I had that similar problem, My front left bearing was clogged with dirt, from driving the country roads during a bad storm. Think it ended up being about a 60 dollar repair is all though. Hope you figure out the problem though, Good luck.

Just listened to the video you had, I would think the only thing it could be, is the bearings. I can ask my buddy, He is a mechanic. He may know a little more about it then me.
Well Thanks man. yea it is driving me up the wall. haha. i can do all the work i just don't want to throw parts at it for nothing. I bet your right about the dirt in the bearings because it got the front left side sunk out in one of my pastures which is kind of sandy where it happened. and with the boot split it probably seeped all in there. Well Thanks for the help. I'm hoping to get it fixed ASAP. But have a livestock auction this weekend. I'll post up what fixed it when i can get around to it.
Old February 16th, 2012, 10:53 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chris9793
Well Thanks man. yea it is driving me up the wall. haha. i can do all the work i just don't want to throw parts at it for nothing. I bet your right about the dirt in the bearings because it got the front left side sunk out in one of my pastures which is kind of sandy where it happened. and with the boot split it probably seeped all in there. Well Thanks for the help. I'm hoping to get it fixed ASAP. But have a livestock auction this weekend. I'll post up what fixed it when i can get around to it.
no problem, Yea I'd expect it to be the bearing. Especially since you sunk it, that's the exact same thing I did, except I sunk mine in a ditch that was full of water and mud. I just messaged him on FB with the link to the video you had. So when he gets back to me ill let you know what he told me.
Old February 16th, 2012, 10:59 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 89burban
no problem, Yea I'd expect it to be the bearing. Especially since you sunk it, that's the exact same thing I did, except I sunk mine in a ditch that was full of water and mud. I just messaged him on FB with the link to the video you had. So when he gets back to me ill let you know what he told me.
Oh well That blows. yea its off and on so i would assume its dirt moving around and settling in the wrong spots. But thanks again ill be watching the thread.
Old January 2nd, 2014, 10:37 PM
CF Beginner

Default fixed

forgot about this thread but figured ill post the fix.

The problem ended up being the 4x4 Hub assembly, the races on the hub split and was coming loose, ended up stuck on the side of the road with the tire about to come off.