Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 tahoe ltz dash has cracked????????

Search this Thread

Old December 18th, 2013, 7:06 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If there were no issue, why is this thread 104 pages long? Why has this issue gone viral on forums and facebook ? Why is there a design change to add stiffeners in the area of the crack ?

This is about as obvious as it could possibly get ...

Last edited by gruvenparts.com; December 18th, 2013 at 7:16 AM.
Old December 18th, 2013, 8:00 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

73shark,
Not sure what reason you have to stick up for GM or your dealer but you are full of ****. I just called Cable-Dahmer and talked to someone there in repairs and he said he has seen this issue before.
Old December 18th, 2013, 8:44 AM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Let me know the name of who you talked with.

FWIW, instead of a class action law suit, folks should get the NHTSA to look into it as a safety item due to the possibility of serious injury from shards of plastic flying around during airbag deployment. They can force a recall whereas a class action law suit will only enrich the lawyers and will not get anyone a new dash.
Old December 18th, 2013, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

For those that wish to report this issue, click here ->NHTSA

For those that are new to reading this:
Contact your dealer and see what they can do.
Contact Chevrolet Customer Service, via this forum and see what they can do to help you.
Do let GM know you are not happy with this issue by filing a written complaint.
Do follow up in this, or any forum of your choosing, of the results of your case, good, bad or indifferent, that is what will get the word out the most.

Be patient and polite, being an *** to the dealership service department or Chevrolet Customer Support is NOT going to help your case in any way PERIOD. Its not the Dealerships fault and its not Chevrolet Customer Service's fault, they are here to help..

The dealership in many cases has to eat a portion of the cost of replacement.
Old December 19th, 2013, 9:31 AM
CF Beginner

The 1% concept is junk. Before the changes were made to put stress point reliefs (aka stiffeners in the new design), failure is 100% - no exceptions. As someone who does plastic and mould designs, I could have told you that the heavy weight and vibration would induce cracking in the original design. Any expert in plastic would say the same. This has been a KNOWN problem, with numerous "confidential" letters to service centers from GM corporate documenting the issue. The gigs up GM. There are several class action suits being prepared and now a NHTSA campaign. Get with your bean counters and do the math. It would be a lot cheaper for you to just swap out dash boards than having the GM name publicly drug through the mud over safety concerns and being forced to exchange every single dash board. You might get away with some people putting up with it or not knowing about it if you did a voluntary recall.

Last edited by JimDrew; December 19th, 2013 at 9:33 AM.
Old December 19th, 2013, 9:51 AM
Administrator

The 1% may not be entirely accurate, but the 100% is wrong... My Tahoe is coming up on 7 years old, I'm the original owner, I just went and took a look at my dash and its 100% solid, un-cracked. Unless it was replaced prior to my buying it off the dealers lot (which is plausible) mine is good. If I get a chance I will try and remove the IP molding and see if I can see any supports at those points, as I can't see anything from under the dash...
I do have to add the caveat that my Tahoe is 100% garaged at home and work in its 6.5 year life span...
I checked the NHTSA site and it appears that there are less than 150 complaints listed for the dash... most are for the peeling interior handles, which GM will replace at no charge in most cases.
Old December 19th, 2013, 11:04 AM
CF Beginner

Been following the forum for a while and I am now apart of the cracked dash club I have a 2008 Tahoe LT3 original owner and it's cracked in 2 spots by the airbag and behind the hump of the driver display. I have kept it very clean even with kids but now I just stare at them every time I drive does it vary on how big they will get for anyone else experience?
Old December 19th, 2013, 11:12 AM
Administrator

humour Sorry to hear about the dash.....
did it just start recently or slowly develop and you just now noticed it...
I'd open a case with Chevrolet Customer Service and see what they can do for you...
Old December 19th, 2013, 11:20 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by in2pro
humour Sorry to hear about the dash.....
did it just start recently or slowly develop and you just now noticed it...
I'd open a case with Chevrolet Customer Service and see what they can do for you...
Someone pointed the airbag side out too me and then I started looking around and noticed the one over the hump of the driver cluster, I have to lean forward to look at that one but the airbag side has completely split in the upper left hand corner above the airbag I can't say exactly if it was slowly developing but now I notice it unfortunately every time I get in. Sense this thread is pretty big with who and how would I go about opening a case?
Old December 19th, 2013, 11:45 AM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by humour
Someone pointed the airbag side out too me and then I started looking around and noticed the one over the hump of the driver cluster, I have to lean forward to look at that one but the airbag side has completely split in the upper left hand corner above the airbag I can't say exactly if it was slowly developing but now I notice it unfortunately every time I get in. Sense this thread is pretty big with who and how would I go about opening a case?
You should get a post from Erica soon. If you don't want to wait, go back a page or two in this thread and find a post by her, click on Chevrolet Customer Service and send a PM.

Quick Reply: 2007 tahoe ltz dash has cracked????????