Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 tahoe ltz dash has cracked????????

Search this Thread

Old March 20th, 2014, 7:50 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by in2pro
Welcome to the forum
Thanks for the pictures and update on how your dealer handled the issue...
Who is your dealership?
In2Pro

Happy to join & learn a few things. Coggin Chevrolet at the Avenues Jacksonville Florida is the dealership that we have used for service since 1996.

I ordered a 1996 4X4 Tahoe & traded it in on the 2007 Tahoe Z71. I also bought a 2004 Silverado 4x4 Z71 Stepside and traded it in on a 2013 Ford Raptor. It only had 37K miles.

I ordered the 2013 Ford Raptor & I love it but I do miss my 2004 Silverado.

We will probably replace the 2007 Tahoe in 2015.
Old March 21st, 2014, 9:22 AM
CF Beginner

Default Don't make blanket statements regarding safety.

Not to make anyone mad, but please don't make blanket statements regarding this issue not being about safety. I promise, they will be used against you and against anyone who finally gets this issue to a class action. As a former law enforcement officer, I will tell you that when you say some this such as " it may not be a direct safety issue" even a mediocre attorney will take this statement in court and say that "even the people who led this group, did not think that this was a safety issue! So, how could it be? They were only seeking cosmetic corrections."

Well, my opinion is that where these cracks are located on the dash, that there is the very high likelihood that an air bad deployment could be impeded by shards of dash which are cracked, potentially being sharp when severed, and therefore deflating the bag before it reaches it full, intended shape and size. In a collision, these shards could separate from the dash, and occupants, especially occupants who may or may not be wearing safety restraints could be impaled by pieces of razor sharp dash fragments.

So, I am just saying over all for everyone.....if you are going to comment in this thread, please think out loud and outside of the box regarding what you will say and how you will say it.

And I do agree, that now is a good time for regulators to take note of this issue with all the other negative attention GM is getting in the press.

Originally Posted by in2pro
I have had the good fortune of not having the cracked dash *so far, in my 07...

With the recent recalls and media attention GM has gotten over the faulty ignition switches and other issues.. this might be a good time to really start pushing the dash issue, it may not be a direct safety issue, but it is a quality issue that can add a bit of "ouch" to the bruise GM is getting right now...

Everyone that has had the cracked dash issue needs to report it to GM and the dealership they bought from...

Seems to me that $250 for replacement is the general going rate... GM should stick with this... better to have disappointed customers that at least have a new dash, rather than turning them away bitter never to return....
Old March 21st, 2014, 11:45 AM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Its a public forum for healthy discussions and opinions and hopefully a lot of helpful information on keeping our favorite vehicles running in tip top shape..

I didn't say it wasn't safety issue...
I said it may not be a direct safety issue and that in itself is true...

Now I know there will be those that say it will be flying shrapnel if the air bags go off... well if the air bags go off there is going to be a whole lot of other soft tissue un-friendlies flying around the cabin including parts of a dash that may have never been cracked to began with....

A cracked dash isn't going to make your vehicle accelerate out of control, it won't impede the function of the seat belts, and it won't stop the brakes from working, or the air bags from going off... that is what the NHTSA is going to be looking for...

You might cut your hand or pinch a finger on it while wiping down the dash, that could be a direct safety issue but a hard one to sell to a jury...

I do understand the concern, and I can understand the frustration... this being an anonymous public forum makes everything hearsay and certainly not a secret to the GM legal hell hounds...

This is a quality issue, if someone can come forward with actual, factually backed up injuries (really deaths, unfortunately) from the cracked dash, then what is said here won't matter...

I am in no way siding with GM, its my role in this forum to generate conversation, and sometimes be devils advocate... if my dash cracks I'll be pissed too...
Old March 21st, 2014, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

As a side note to this... how much news have you heard about Dodge having the same problems...
https://www.google.com/search?q=dodg...m=122&ie=UTF-8
Old March 23rd, 2014, 2:01 PM
CF Beginner

Smile update on my 2010 chevy tahoe cracked dash on passenger side

Originally Posted by Tony_V.
Just sent a private message to Chevy customer Service. let see if they can help me.
Have a update. talked to amber n. (Chevy customer care) And my local Chevy dealership (CCOG of Goldsboro, NC), Chevy was willing to help me with the dash issue (I'm the 3rd owner on my Tahoe). They said I only had to pay 300.00 deductible. I took the offer (better than paying full price on part and labor). took my 2010 Chevy Tahoe, to get dash replaced about 2 weeks ago. It took less then a day to get my Tahoe back. this process for me went smooth. thanks to Chevy customer care for the help.

Also my transmission dip stick tube was replaced free of charge (bracket on tube was broken). it had an open Chevy campaign for this concern.

This pictures below are from my Tahoe (my cousin took pictures. He worked on my SUV at CCOG dealership). The new dash does come reinforced. That what my cousin told me.

Last edited by Tony_V.; March 23rd, 2014 at 3:02 PM. Reason: added dealer name to post and added pictures.
Old March 23rd, 2014, 2:22 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 73shark
Welcome to the forum.

Go to one of their posts and click on their name and send a private message.

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums - View Profile: Chevrolet Customer Service
Old March 24th, 2014, 11:02 AM
CF Beginner

Hi Kristen,
Maybe you can get Erica or Amber to reply back to me. They offered to pay 50% of my repair and took it back. Now they won't even respond to a pm.
Old March 24th, 2014, 9:05 PM
CF Beginner

Default inquiry

I made an inquiry yesterday, no reply today. Crickets.....
Old March 31st, 2014, 11:34 AM
CF Beginner

I have a 2007 nbs Silverado 51k miles with a 9-10" crack on the dash above the instrument panel and a 2" crack above passanger side airbag. Can a GM customer service contact me please?
Old March 31st, 2014, 1:25 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Hey KevinTx,

I am sorry to hear about your cracked dashboard. Please private message me your name, VIN, phone number, and dealership name. I look forward t hearing from you soon.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care

Quick Reply: 2007 tahoe ltz dash has cracked????????