Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 tahoe ltz dash has cracked????????

Search this Thread

Old July 6th, 2010, 9:54 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan75208
I also have the infamous crack on my dash and it is about 9inchs and still growing. Kinda sucks cause everyone is starting to notice it once they get in my truck. I've called the dealership and they have said that it is not under warranty and that I should start using "Armor All" even though it is not UV protection.
I wouldn't recommend using Armor All on anything except wheelhouse liners. It's mostly water and will ruin interior chrome plated plastic trim and letters. Turns tires brown. Makes interiors smell bad.
Old July 7th, 2010, 7:21 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 73shark
I wouldn't recommend using Armor All on anything except wheelhouse liners. It's mostly water and will ruin interior chrome plated plastic trim and letters. Turns tires brown. Makes interiors smell bad.
I second this. All it does is dry out plastic and rubber and promotes cracking. There are plenty more products out there that do the job much better. As for your dealer saying its not covered. Maybe you can contact some on here and request copies of theres being covered by gm and bring that to them. They might change there tune once they see others have been covered.
Old July 7th, 2010, 8:47 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is from armor all when i emailed them and told them that a chevy service guy blamed me for using armor all on the dash which caused the dash to crack.

Reference Number: 6013862
Dear Mr. Stinson,

Thank you for contacting us about your Armor All Protectant Wipes. We always appreciate hearing from our consumers.

We apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you. We are aware that tire companies and car makers like to blame our product for the cracks in the dash. However, most of them believe our product is made of petroleum which would dry out and crack the dash. Our product has never contained petroleum it is a water based silicone emulsion. Our product has been thoroughly tested and will not harm the dashboard. I would contact GM again and find out if your dash is painted? Many companies are now painting the dashboards and our product is not designed for painted surfaces. We wish companies would put it in their owner's manuals, however, they don't. I know GM is now painting some of their dashes. I find it strange that other Tahoe owners are getting cracks in the same place, it sounds to me like they may have a defect in the dash. I would find it hard to believe that every one of the owner's used Armor All and that they would crack in the same place. I hope this information will help you.

Again, thank you for contacting us.

Sincerely,

Old July 7th, 2010, 9:08 PM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

I do not apply anything to my dash other then a damp cloth to clean it now and then, my dash is not cracked (knock on wood) thou my vehicle is garaged at home and work adn I live in Texas where it gets plenty hot.
I wholly believe the defect lies with the manufacture (GM) based on the number of complaints in this forum alone.
I agree with the statement from the letter from Amor-all that the likely hood of all the cracked dashes used armor-all is well not likely....

It would be my opinion that the compound the dash is manufactured from (PPE) is not holding up well with the thermal expansion extreams at that particular stress point.
The dash panel should be able to float a bit more rather then be fasten down.
Old July 7th, 2010, 9:11 PM
Administrator

Emphasis on the water part of the formula.
Old July 11th, 2010, 7:44 PM
CF Beginner

Hello Guys,

Did you all read my last posting about how everything was fixed? I am not under warranty, and seems to me that GM doesn't want to put out a "recall" because it would cost them more money to do that than to replace our individual issues.

Contact GM directly and they will tell you to go to a dealership so they can "diagnose" and "document" your issues... DO NOT GIVE UP, THESE ARE FACTORY DEFECTS!!!!!
Old July 11th, 2010, 9:43 PM
Administrator

Check out post #6429 here: http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/Web...b/6426#MSG6426

Seems that there is another GM CS rep.
Old July 24th, 2010, 9:28 AM
CF Beginner

anyone getting any additional feedback from GM to the dash issue? I keep sending msgs and no one responds.
Old July 24th, 2010, 6:02 PM
CF Active Member

2007 burb - 57k miles

handles chrome peal off on psg. side My wife cut her finger already

Ill go to talk to my attorney and then dealership.
Old July 25th, 2010, 4:14 PM
Administrator

Why that order? Why not see if the dealer will replace under customer satisfaction? Why feed another lawyer if you don't have to?

Quick Reply: 2007 tahoe ltz dash has cracked????????