Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2015+ hoe/burb 4wd low

Search this Thread

Old July 17th, 2019, 11:57 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015+ hoe/burb 4wd low

I am sorry to post if this has been covered but I can’t find any answers searching the internet or this forum. I currently have a 2007 Suburban 1500 and love it but I think it’s time to step into a newer model. I have seen some pics of Burbs’ on dealer sites and some have shown the 4wd **** but I don’t see a 4wd low on it. Were the 2015+ Burbs made with 4wd low? Any info would help because I don’t want to get a newer Suburban to find out that I didn’t get all the options that I would like to have. Thanks!
Old July 17th, 2019, 11:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

some don't have 4 low. for me its a feature I never use. I don't go off road so I can't think of many reasons I would need it...pulling someone out of a ditch?
Old July 18th, 2019, 4:00 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by tech2
some don't have 4 low. for me its a feature I never use. I don't go off road so I can't think of many reasons I would need it...pulling someone out of a ditch?
Kind of like the Granny-Gear low in a 1950'-1980s stick shift pickup. Only reason to use it was a heavy weight to tow. Back then farmers didn't use 4x4 pickups, so it got used a lot. I go off road and having a low gear in the T/C box is a must as the 5 speed tranny NP-3500 has no granny-gear. Granny first, no synchros, but big-rigs dont have synchronization either in any gear or speed..

My old Jeep CJ-5 even had a 2 wheel drive low setting in the transfer case, but it wasn't on the floor shifter **** etching. You punch it in 2-low you'll bust an axle shaft or worse. Was nice for backing out of places without slipping the clutch but that baby was built in the 1970's. Solid front axles and Warn locking hubs. Four speed transmission it would crawl like a crab in granny low and t-c low.

Last edited by oilcanhenry; July 18th, 2019 at 4:08 AM.
Old July 18th, 2019, 4:20 AM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by Jzobie
I am sorry to post if this has been covered but I can’t find any answers searching the internet or this forum. I currently have a 2007 Suburban 1500 and love it but I think it’s time to step into a newer model. I have seen some pics of Burbs’ on dealer sites and some have shown the 4wd **** but I don’t see a 4wd low on it. Were the 2015+ Burbs made with 4wd low? Any info would help because I don’t want to get a newer Suburban to find out that I didn’t get all the options that I would like to have. Thanks!
Burbs/Tahoes are station wagons on steroids. Got no use for SUV's at all. Most never hit dirt or rocks, but be good on snowy roads if you ski. Black ice wont save you. Other then that, only a 4x4 pickup will have 4-low for certain.
Old July 18th, 2019, 6:48 AM
CF Beginner

I live on a hill so steep that USPS won’t deliver mail to my street so while I don’t use 4wd low very often on my ‘07 Burb, I have used it. I have a travel trailer and with the wife the kid and 2 dogs a pickup just doesn’t get the job done. I have loaded 8 people into my suburban countless times as well. The Tahoe doesn’t work because I also use my truck to haul construction material and I can load full boards, plywood, and Sheetrock into the suburban and close the back door all the way. I guess I can get by without the 4wd low but they are definitely making it less of a truck which is what I love about the Suburban. Hell, I wish they still made a 2500 version, that is what I would be getting if they did.
Old July 18th, 2019, 2:15 PM
CF Monarch

I live on a hill so steep that USPS won’t deliver mail to my street so while I don’t use 4wd low very often on my ‘07 Burb, I have used it. I have a travel trailer and with the wife the kid and 2 dogs a pickup just doesn’t get the job done. I have loaded 8 people into my suburban countless times as well. The Tahoe doesn’t work because I also use my truck to haul construction material and I can load full boards, plywood, and Sheetrock into the suburban and close the back door all the way. I guess I can get by without the 4wd low but they are definitely making it less of a truck which is what I love about the Suburban. Hell, I wish they still made a 2500 version, that is what I would be getting if they did.
Might be able to install a 4-low transfer case, but I'm not into modifications theese days, Put a 2.5 lift-kit on the Jeep. Never hit anything. As a professional driver who hauled
propane in rear-axle rigs, I'd hit a steep uphlll drive (not snow/ice) and punch it to the max. No 4x4 just tons of momentum, Always made it to the top of the grade every time.

Last edited by oilcanhenry; July 18th, 2019 at 2:18 PM.
Old July 18th, 2019, 3:26 PM
CF Beginner

Ok so I went onto Chevrolet’s site and used the Build and Price feature to kind of reverse engineer what I am looking for. The Tahoe’s and Suburbans with the max trailering package come with built in trailer brake, 2 speed transfer case giving the truck 4wd low and also Neutral (not that I have ever used that) and 3.42s. I believe it is called max tow for the Yukon and Yukon XL. Knowing this allowed me to search the photos of the CPO trucks and if it has trailer brake to the right of the 4wd selector then it is what I am looking for. Obviously I need this package to tow so it limits the number of Burbs that will work for me but I will get exactly what I need. Hopefully this helps anyone in the future looking for towing as it increases tow capacity from I believe 6,200 lbs to 8,000 lbs.
Old March 24th, 2021, 11:59 PM
CF Beginner

Default Thanks!

Ok so I went onto Chevrolet’s site and used the Build and Price feature to kind of reverse engineer what I am looking for. The Tahoe’s and Suburbans with the max trailering package come with built in trailer brake, 2 speed transfer case giving the truck 4wd low and also Neutral (not that I have ever used that) and 3.42s. I believe it is called max tow for the Yukon and Yukon XL. Knowing this allowed me to search the photos of the CPO trucks and if it has trailer brake to the right of the 4wd selector then it is what I am looking for. Obviously I need this package to tow so it limits the number of Burbs that will work for me but I will get exactly what I need. Hopefully this helps anyone in the future looking for towing as it increases tow capacity from I believe 6,200 lbs to 8,000 lbs.
Thanks much for the research and providing the detail. unlike Oil can Henry.. I too am in the same situation as you. Have an 07 Yukon XL and a 24' TT that I tow, a family and a dog. Love the fact that I can store all my stuff under climate controlled cover from the elements.. If I need a load of Rock or dirt.. I use a trailer. Anyway, I am looking for a 2017-2019 Burb / XL to replace mine. I saw that most models have 4 high, but not 4 low. I don't use it often.. but we have a cabin 1/8 mile off the road, and in the winter I will drive into that cabin unplowed through 12-14" of snow. (often packed down by snowmobiles. This places a lot of stress on things in 4 high. in 4 low.. you have great control and power to make it into the cabin. The tow max package would be ideal for my use with my TT and soon to own enclosed snowmobile trailer. If you have learned of a efficient way to search for vehicles with these features, please let me know.