Tracker 1989-2004
This compact SUV proved itself to be a fine ecnomical vehicle, good for making its way along any type of surface.
Platform: CAMI (Suzuki)

Which tools should I be using, please?

Search this Thread

Old October 8th, 2021, 11:06 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which tools should I be using, please?

Hi everyone, I am attempting to replace four O2 sensors (upstream/downstream). Is it best to use an 18” breaker bar or 30” breaker bar, please? There are different tools to use, (3/8” or 1/2”).
I’m not sure which one to use so I am purchasing a dual one. If anyone can assist or suggest anything, it is greatly appreciated.

If I do need a tool or do not need a tool, please let me know.
Please and thank you 😊

I happily own a 2003 Chevy Tracker, 2.5 L
Old October 8th, 2021, 7:30 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

i went to autozone and "rented" tool set OEM 27110. the reason i rented it was because some dont come with boxes if you buy them off the shelf. it uses a 3/8 breaker bar or ratchet. breaker bars might be too big to fit under the vehicle anyway. make sure to really soak it in pb blaster ot something or if youre using heat keep it off the o2 sensor and try to heat the bung only. ive had mixed results with o2 sensors sometimes they come out sometimes they dont. i wouldnt use a thin wall socket either as you dont want it flexing and rounding the o2 nut. so of that list you supplied i would go with a compact style as they tend to be thicker and are less prone to flexing imo.

also whenever i see someone on rockauto i have to inform them about their return policy, and i found it out when i got some cats of all things from them. they were the middle man so the supplier directly sent them to me but the welded the o2 bung on in the wrong place. instead of coming off the cat at a 45° it was going straight up at a 90° making it touch the floor of the truck. went i told them about it they first tried to say i voided the return policy since i modified the cats but after clearing that confusion up they told me i could pay shipping to return them then pay shipping to receive the new ones. i had already paid shipping once and i didnt think it was fair, so i complained and they agreed to pay shipping for the new one as long as i paid to return the faulty one. thinking this would save me some money i agreed, when i inquired about how to get them to pay for the shipping they simply stopped talking to me and wouldn't return any phone calls or emails. i had to give up and fix the problem myself
Old October 8th, 2021, 8:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

what are you working on....22mm combination wrench works if you have clearance. 1/2 " is better when they are seized. i use a torch...warm up the threaded b ung and they turn out easy
Old October 11th, 2021, 11:38 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Avoid the breaker bar entirely. First, I don’t think you will have room enough to fit it in there. Second, if you don’t get the B-nut socket square on the O2 sensor, you could round off the hex nut with the torque of the breaker bar. Don’t do it.
Use some PB Blaster or Aerokroil to loosen the O2 sensor threads. The O2 is torqued to 18 ft lbs, I believe. Not much.
Hell, even water displacement formula 40 (WD-40) should do the trick.
DON’T STRIP THE HEX ON THE O2 SENSOR. Whole new meaning to the word “hosed.”
Old October 14th, 2021, 5:53 PM
I'm here for the party

Just replaced my s2b2 on my 2010 Silverado. I sprayed pb blaster on it and let it sit then tried to remove it with the 02 sensor socket and It let it strip it. It only rotated it once so I sprayed more pb let it sit then gave it some heat from a propane torch. That still didn't work so I cooled it with more pb blaster then applied more heat, then sprayed it again and applied more heat then I tried it again and it came loose.
Old October 14th, 2021, 8:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you everyone who responded to this.
I was attempting to use tools to replace (4) 02 sensors, upstream and downstream. Now I’m being advised not to change them as it is my catalytic converters (banks 1 and 2) that need to be replaced. 😣

with the prices of these catalytic converters, my bank is now broke 😞

On a sidenote, I just learned what the “WD” stands for in WD-40. Thanks domino3665 😎
Old October 15th, 2021, 1:53 PM
I'm here for the party

You can make a few hundred by reselling you old cats don't use one of those Facebook buyers but there's a place in new Jersey that will pay good.i want to say the cat of my Impala I got paid 180 for. Rrcats.com is the place and they pay fast. You just need to give them you PayPal and copy of drivers license they will even send you a quote before you ship it and they will pay for shipping
Old October 15th, 2021, 8:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

sorry but wd 40 is junk....use a penetrating fluid for helping with seized bolts,nuts