Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 tahoe ltz dash has cracked????????

Search this Thread

Old January 10th, 2014, 8:10 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by in2pro
If no one is filing a complaint, then there must not be a real issue...
filing a complaint is literally clicks away... it takes longer to respond to some of these post then it does to file the grievance... As previously stated in several post back, I only saw about 150 or so complaints for the cracked dash at > https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
Thank you for the link!!!

Just filed a complaint and it took less than 5 minutes. Below is a copy of the complaint.

NHTSA Complaint:
The dashes of all GM trucks and SUVs are cracking, badly. They're designed poorly and crack right around the passenger airbag deployment section. In the event of air bag deployment, it will send jagged plastic shards towards the occupants. This is completely unsafe and a serious hazard but GM refuses to correct the issue even though it has been acknowledged, hence I am filing this complaint. Simply google GM Cracked dash and enjoy all the posts and videos from frustrated Americans. Please help. Thank you.
Old January 10th, 2014, 8:25 AM
CF Beginner

Default Me too

Found this thread when my dash (2008 Sierra Denali) cracked. I also submitted a complaint.
Old January 10th, 2014, 8:50 AM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by 12GSVert
Found this thread when my dash (2008 Sierra Denali) cracked. I also submitted a complaint.
Welcome to the forum...
If you have not already, contact Chevrolet Customer Service via this forum and setup a case, you may be able to get it replaced at no, or reduced cost...
I would imagine that selling it with the crack is going to impact the resale price..
if you can get it replaced for less then $400 I'd get it done...
If I were buying used from an individual, and saw the cracks, I would be suspicious of other un-addressed items... ( I know, lip stick on a pig... but looks count a lot)
Old January 10th, 2014, 9:00 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by in2pro
Welcome to the forum...
If you have not already, contact Chevrolet Customer Service via this forum and setup a case, you may be able to get it replaced at no, or reduced cost...
I would imagine that selling it with the crack is going to impact the resale price..
if you can get it replaced for less then $400 I'd get it done...
If I were buying used from an individual, and saw the cracks, I would be suspicious of other un-addressed items... ( I know, lip stick on a pig... but looks count a lot)
Thanks. I did send my info via PM to the gm rep on this forum.
Old January 11th, 2014, 10:22 AM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Default New to page

Hello,
I have an '08 Tahoe hybrid. I currently have close to 140,000 miles on my truck and didn't realize that there was a forum for this till today.

My dash has been cracked for so long that I have become to believe that it came with the truck.

Anyways I can say the cracks keep getting worse every change in season. I thought I had done something to cause the cracks until I read this forum. I have had many problems with my Tahoe but I still love it. Just wish GM would own up to there problems.
Old January 13th, 2014, 3:24 PM
CF Beginner

The dash on my 2010 Tahoe is cracked also. Has anybody been successful in getting Chevrolet to do anything about it?
Old January 13th, 2014, 4:28 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Hello padge010,

Thanks for joining Chevrolet Forum! We apologize for any frustration that has come from your cracked dash. We'd be happy to create a case for you within our system, and see what options are available to you for a repair. If this is something that interests you, please send us your full name, VIN, full contact information, and preferred GM dealership.

Thank you,

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old January 15th, 2014, 10:45 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All, an update here from the "GM Executive Office" on my case : A $55K truck with 69k miles and a dash split all the way across in several places, probably just like yours.

I spoke with Dewan, 855-880-1400, x 11558. He had called me before xmas and listened to my case, told me it was escalated to the GM Executive Office, then vowed to see what he could do to help. Thankfully, I did not hold my breath. He finally called me back yesterday and reported there was nothing more he could offer. The dealer was willing to pay $400 towards the defective dash replacement, leaving me with a cost of between $400-$500 to pay out of pocket to cover the defect.

After some banter, he agreed to offer an additional $100 voucher for future service at a GM dealer. Not the dash replacement, but future service. He explained that this was because the vehicle was bought used (with 10k miles, from a GMC dealer).

I asked how that changes the fact that this is a K-N-O-W-N D-E-F-E-C-T ? If im the original owner, or the 10 millionth owner, this is a design flaw that has been rectified by changing the part to add structural reinforcement at the defective area.

Dewann just went back into reading his cue card about how GM would not be willing to do anything more for me. I explained that this is short sited, as now I wont ever buy another GM product, and no one in my family, or anyone that asks me, or reads my forum posts (which there are plenty) probably will either. In fact, I had someone come by my home yesterday to buy an armoire I listed for sale on craiglist. He drove a nice Volvo XC90, and said he was thinking about trading it for a Tahoe (since he saw mine in the driveway). I told him ALL ABOUT the poor service from GM, the faulty designs in the dash and door locks, and how the process of getting the defects fixed was absurd. He shook his head and said he would not be considering a GM product then.

Lets see how short sited the decision really is, Amber N :
It would honestly cost GM only a few hundred dollars to remove and replace my defective dash with the new, structurally reinforced dash. I would then be a happy customer, would tell all those I know how happy I am with GM, how the service was great, and how issues were handled properly. In my lifetime, and my families lifetime, we would probably have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on more GM vehicles.

Instead, we have traded all of that by alienating existing customers (who SHOULD be the easiest repeat sales targets), to save several hundred dollars and in the process, demonstrated that GM customer service is both inconsistent, and terrible. You have run me through dealers like Carl Black GMC where I had to listen to a slippery service manager give me a sales pitch about buying MORE from his dealer. I had to make and receive at least a dozen phone calls from various GM support reps (and copy down 20 digit case #'s each time - seriously, use alphanumeric characters or something if you are going to have this many open cases!)

But what all this has really done is provide some very clear insight into how badly GM treats its customers. I hope you use this, Amber N, as a way of communicating to the higher ups that something must change in the customer service policy. You have all of my contact info, all of my case #'s.

You can still make this right, but I wont be holding my breath.
Old January 16th, 2014, 11:46 AM
CF Beginner

mine's cracked as well...top left where the airbag sits on the passenger side.
definitely a safety issue...if the bag were to deploy, where would those pieces of plastic end up? < in a lawsuit against GM >
Old January 16th, 2014, 2:34 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by gruvenparts.com
All, an update here from the "GM Executive Office" on my case : A $55K truck with 69k miles and a dash split all the way across in several places, probably just like yours.

I spoke with Dewan, 855-880-1400, x 11558. He had called me before xmas and listened to my case, told me it was escalated to the GM Executive Office, then vowed to see what he could do to help. Thankfully, I did not hold my breath. He finally called me back yesterday and reported there was nothing more he could offer. The dealer was willing to pay $400 towards the defective dash replacement, leaving me with a cost of between $400-$500 to pay out of pocket to cover the defect.

After some banter, he agreed to offer an additional $100 voucher for future service at a GM dealer. Not the dash replacement, but future service. He explained that this was because the vehicle was bought used (with 10k miles, from a GMC dealer).

I asked how that changes the fact that this is a K-N-O-W-N D-E-F-E-C-T ? If im the original owner, or the 10 millionth owner, this is a design flaw that has been rectified by changing the part to add structural reinforcement at the defective area.

Dewann just went back into reading his cue card about how GM would not be willing to do anything more for me. I explained that this is short sited, as now I wont ever buy another GM product, and no one in my family, or anyone that asks me, or reads my forum posts (which there are plenty) probably will either. In fact, I had someone come by my home yesterday to buy an armoire I listed for sale on craiglist. He drove a nice Volvo XC90, and said he was thinking about trading it for a Tahoe (since he saw mine in the driveway). I told him ALL ABOUT the poor service from GM, the faulty designs in the dash and door locks, and how the process of getting the defects fixed was absurd. He shook his head and said he would not be considering a GM product then.

Lets see how short sited the decision really is, Amber N :
It would honestly cost GM only a few hundred dollars to remove and replace my defective dash with the new, structurally reinforced dash. I would then be a happy customer, would tell all those I know how happy I am with GM, how the service was great, and how issues were handled properly. In my lifetime, and my families lifetime, we would probably have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on more GM vehicles.

Instead, we have traded all of that by alienating existing customers (who SHOULD be the easiest repeat sales targets), to save several hundred dollars and in the process, demonstrated that GM customer service is both inconsistent, and terrible. You have run me through dealers like Carl Black GMC where I had to listen to a slippery service manager give me a sales pitch about buying MORE from his dealer. I had to make and receive at least a dozen phone calls from various GM support reps (and copy down 20 digit case #'s each time - seriously, use alphanumeric characters or something if you are going to have this many open cases!)

But what all this has really done is provide some very clear insight into how badly GM treats its customers. I hope you use this, Amber N, as a way of communicating to the higher ups that something must change in the customer service policy. You have all of my contact info, all of my case #'s.

You can still make this right, but I wont be holding my breath.

That makes 2 of us. They offered to pay half of mine ($485) AND NO GARANTEE. You can buy these dashes for $300. GM really needs to step up and fix these. I will not be buying the "NEW" Yukon coming out as of now. My daughter was even injured from the sharp edges of the cracks and they don't care. I sure hope I don't have an accident and the dash rips the airbag on the way out or brings sharp edges of the dash with it

Quick Reply: 2007 tahoe ltz dash has cracked????????