Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 tahoe ltz dash has cracked????????

Search this Thread

Old September 23rd, 2012, 9:47 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have finally fallen victum to the cracked dash. Thought I was going to be ok guess not. Seems like they will all crack eventually. I now have razor door handles (have not had time to take in for warranty (extension on handles) repair. My steering wheel rubber coming off and now a cracked dash. What a piece of junk. Not sure I should even bother reporting to GM or dealer as they are so wishy washey about who they help.I am the second owner it has 77,000 miles so I am sure they will not help me. Up until recently I would have recommended a GM truck to my customers instead of FORD however that seems like it will change unless GM extends warranty on this DEFECTIVE dash.
Old September 24th, 2012, 6:29 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brio2323
You failed to provide the details surrounding your situation. If it's anything like most on here that are not happy, "we" would love to hear why you believe the cracking of these newer high dollar trucks and SUV's are ok as long as we pay half?
What details would "you" like: my home address, social security number and mother's maiden name?

2007 Tahoe LTZ
~79,000 miles
Second owner, bought it w/ 24K miles just back in off of a lease
Dash cracked during 2010 while garaged at both work and home
Cracks in the usual places: left side of the instrument hump and behind the passenger air bag

Would I have liked GM to pick up the whole cost of replacement, as well as provide me with a loaner car for the day and a back rub? Sure. Did I really expect that to happen? Not a chance. I don't even live out here where I'm getting the work done, so I don't have any complaints considering that some other folks on here were told to pound sand by GM and their local dealer, and will be out of pocket a grand to get their truck whole again.
Old September 24th, 2012, 9:39 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by dusty6
What details would "you" like: my home address, social security number and mother's maiden name?

2007 Tahoe LTZ
~79,000 miles
Second owner, bought it w/ 24K miles just back in off of a lease
Dash cracked during 2010 while garaged at both work and home
Cracks in the usual places: left side of the instrument hump and behind the passenger air bag

Would I have liked GM to pick up the whole cost of replacement, as well as provide me with a loaner car for the day and a back rub? Sure. Did I really expect that to happen? Not a chance. I don't even live out here where I'm getting the work done, so I don't have any complaints considering that some other folks on here were told to pound sand by GM and their local dealer, and will be out of pocket a grand to get their truck whole again.
Well, McFly it appears that you actually knew what I meant by "your situation" information after all. Since you provided the correct info. However I will spell it out for you. The reason I asked for that (which I did state "if it were like others on here" you know "similar") is if your vehicle was much older or had much higher milage. Then I would understand you position. It is your prerogative to purchase a high trim level Chevy Tahoe with low miles and in 3 years experience cracks in your dash due to a defect either in the materials or the manufacture of the dash and not expect Chevy to make good on their hiccup. Further more the cracks around the air bags can produce sharp edges and God forbid the trucks involved in an accident in which these pieces become dangerous projectiles. I also almost forgot to mention vehicle value loss.

If you do some extensive research there are many like us with this problem, including this forum, other forums, and heck even a facebook page devoted to this issue. On those resources you will find Chevy making good on their product to about 50% of their consumers. That, my friend is not right. That is why many of us are speaking up.

PS. Most others and myself have never expected to have loaners, back rubs, or limo services and such. Just plain old Customer Service and have our dash's replaced with proper one's at no further cost to the consumers... "us".
Old September 24th, 2012, 11:30 AM
CF Beginner

GM corporate taking full and open responsibility for the poor quality of the 2007 Tahoe dash cap and picking up 100% of the replacement cost across the board for everyone, even undertaking a recall for it, would be fantastic. That is apparently not going to happen. The widely varying levels of support on this issue from dealers across the country as shown here in this thread makes it pretty obvious that GM is only providing some baseline of reimbursement on this, and the dealers are having to pick up the rest.

Given this state of affairs, I can't complain when a dealer 1500 miles from my home town decides to pick up a good deal of the cost on a problem with my truck that GM itself isn't acknowledging as being its problem in the first place.

If there is some other expectation of me as a Tahoe owner, it wasn't made clear when I bought it or when I signed up here on the forum. You take any approach you like when it comes to your truck, but I'll just go ahead and appreciate what I'm getting rather than crying about what I'm not.

PS: And I'm done debating this with you.
Old September 24th, 2012, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

You both have very valid points... Its obvious that there is an issue with the dash material or construction...
I guess it depends on how proactive you want to be about it...if the only problem you have had is the cracked dash and you like the vehicle and plan to keep it, yeah its not great you have to spend the money but it will be done and you can move on from it...

Unless someone is willing to step up to heading a class action suit , taking what you can get is pretty much the course...and its what GM is counting on...
Old September 24th, 2012, 1:25 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by dusty6
GM corporate taking full and open responsibility for the poor quality of the 2007 Tahoe dash cap and picking up 100% of the replacement cost across the board for everyone, even undertaking a recall for it, would be fantastic. That is apparently not going to happen. The widely varying levels of support on this issue from dealers across the country as shown here in this thread makes it pretty obvious that GM is only providing some baseline of reimbursement on this, and the dealers are having to pick up the rest.

Given this state of affairs, I can't complain when a dealer 1500 miles from my home town decides to pick up a good deal of the cost on a problem with my truck that GM itself isn't acknowledging as being its problem in the first place.

If there is some other expectation of me as a Tahoe owner, it wasn't made clear when I bought it or when I signed up here on the forum. You take any approach you like when it comes to your truck, but I'll just go ahead and appreciate what I'm getting rather than crying about what I'm not.

PS: And I'm done debating this with you.
I for one am very confortable with your PS: statement. I will point out some other things for others that may find interest in reading about it. First it is understood that GM doesn't have to do anything about our dash. It is to "my and many others" opinion that it would be the right thing for them to do. In regards to your dealer picking up some of the cost. Wow! That is great. They shouldn't have to as it's not their fault, it's GM's. FUNNY HOW YOU SAY YOU'VE NEVER HAD SOME SORT OF EXPECTATION AFTER ALL YOU DID COMPLAIN ABOUT YOUR DASH AND RECEIVED ASSISTANCE... You know like all of us here. I am simply stating the assistance should be consistent for their consumers.

Also, find yourself corrected about any crying. You won't find that here. Here you find a great forum to gather great information. Find members "claims" of their experiences and as a reader learn and or educate yourself with it, so please keep the tissue for your own tears. If you don't like being engaged, please feel free to read posts you don"t agree with and move on.
Old September 24th, 2012, 6:18 PM
CF Beginner

Although I am very happy that GM/My Dealer took care of my issue I also understand that quality issues can arise and if the dash in my wife's 2009 Commander Limited cracks I would bet the dealer where she bought it would just try to sell her a new one and by no means replace it.

In fact I have no reason to believe that any manufacturer would or would not replace a cracked dash.

That being said I would expect the dash to last a lot longer than 5 years. Any brand can have quality issues and we all have to realize that these parts are not made my Chevy but rather that lowest bidder on a contract. I also think that $100 is trivial with our vehicles considering that is one tank of gas. If GM asked me to pay $100 I would have. In the end it is customer service that brings me back and my dealership has insured that my next vehicle will be a Chevy....
Old September 24th, 2012, 9:52 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by rrhodes1970
Although I am very happy that GM/My Dealer took care of my issue I also understand that quality issues can arise and if the dash in my wife's 2009 Commander Limited cracks I would bet the dealer where she bought it would just try to sell her a new one and by no means replace it.

In fact I have no reason to believe that any manufacturer would or would not replace a cracked dash.

That being said I would expect the dash to last a lot longer than 5 years. Any brand can have quality issues and we all have to realize that these parts are not made my Chevy but rather that lowest bidder on a contract. I also think that $100 is trivial with our vehicles considering that is one tank of gas. If GM asked me to pay $100 I would have. In the end it is customer service that brings me back and my dealership has insured that my next vehicle will be a Chevy....
That's just it. All who have complained about the faulty dash (including yourself) do infact have a reason to believe that GM "manufacturer" would possibly replace the affected part. Furthermore per this forum they are doing such. Problem is the picking and choosing element.
Old September 26th, 2012, 4:29 PM
Administrator

Received 162 Likes on 160 Posts

Remember that life is not fair. If you don't believe that, just ask the GM bond holders that Barry threw to the curb when he took over GM.
Old September 27th, 2012, 6:15 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 73shark
Remember that life is not fair. If you don't believe that, just ask the GM bond holders that Barry threw to the curb when he took over GM.
Ain't that the truth!

Quick Reply: 2007 tahoe ltz dash has cracked????????